The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Commissioner Butera
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Commissioner Butera
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
crixus
Starter

Joined: 20 Jun 2015
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Commissioner Butera Reply with quote

Scott Butera has destroyed this league. The owners of the SaberCats couldn't stand his bully tactic$ and the same applies for other owners of former AFL teams. Thanks for nothing Butera. Tombstone
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
NanIndy
Ironman

Joined: 17 Mar 2002
Location: Indy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not impressed with him.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address
VooDooNut
Ironman

Joined: 12 Mar 2011
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They needed to hire someone like him a couple of years earlier

He failed, but it's possible nothing would have worked
_________________
"Make The AFL Great Again!"
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
4th&long
MVP

Joined: 05 May 2017
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VooDooNut wrote:
They needed to hire someone like him a couple of years earlier

He failed, but it's possible nothing would have worked


If you aren't bringing in league revenue no reason to have a high paid commissioner, period. Pay out for attorney's and consultants anyway, this way only when you need them.

Their number one issue was cost - lower the cost and promote gambling and Fantasy AFB for interest. I would gather that Commissioner/League office + CBSSN comes to 3mm+ a year spread over 5 teams is 600k, if it was 200/100k or lower likely still have TB at least and likely Glads too.
The single entity model isnt helping either

CBA another disaster, Ivan Soto another wannabe limousine liberal taking down the AFL. Real smart guy

Is a shame.
_________________
4th
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
mactheknife
All Pro

Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Commissioner Butera Reply with quote

crixus wrote:
Scott Butera has destroyed this league. The owners of the SaberCats couldn't stand his bully tactic$ and the same applies for other owners of former AFL teams. Thanks for nothing Butera. Tombstone


Butera didn't destroy the AFL as a brand. Baker shot it in the temple, Kurz stabbed the body on the way down, Ivan Soto kicked it as it fell, and Butera failed to catch it as it hit the ground. He's not impressive, but he was dealt a **** hand to begin with.

4th&long wrote:
Their number one issue was cost - lower the cost and promote gambling and Fantasy AFB for interest. I would gather that Commissioner/League office + CBSSN comes to 3mm+ a year spread over 5 teams is 600k, if it was 200/100k or lower likely still have TB at least and likely Glads too. The single entity model isnt helping either

CBA another disaster, Ivan Soto another wannabe limousine liberal taking down the AFL. Real smart guy

Is a shame.


They cut operating costs as far as they could, and still couldn't make it work. Your presumption of league office operating expenses is probably way high, but paying anyone to get your sports entertainment product is insane on the face of it - if you have a product worth anything, they pay you for the privilege of airing it. Maybe not much, but something.

I'm not sure what exactly what your definition of a "limousine liberal" is, but Ivan Soto isn't one. In my book, to qualify as liberal you at least have to have some grasp on the reality around you... and Ivan Soto certainly does not.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
AFLNerd36
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jun 2016
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
They needed to hire someone like him a couple of years earlier

He failed, but it's possible nothing would have worked


If you aren't bringing in league revenue no reason to have a high paid commissioner, period. Pay out for attorney's and consultants anyway, this way only when you need them.

Their number one issue was cost - lower the cost and promote gambling and Fantasy AFB for interest. I would gather that Commissioner/League office + CBSSN comes to 3mm+ a year spread over 5 teams is 600k, if it was 200/100k or lower likely still have TB at least and likely Glads too.
The single entity model isnt helping either

CBA another disaster, Ivan Soto another wannabe limousine liberal taking down the AFL. Real smart guy

Is a shame.


The commissioner should not be making more than $500k per season unless the AFL has more than 10 teams; that's a major fault... another issue, yes, is the CBSSN contract, but the league has had many opportunities to advertise itself as a different animal from the NFL, and make itself more of a semi-ironman league... but they didn't take the chance.

Ivan Soto? He's a piece of fecal matter, especially with this CBA cluster[boop]. I mean, he could effectively kill the AFL; it makes me wonder if he's a double agent for Jeff Bouchy.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
TargetToad
MVP

Joined: 31 May 2017
Location: Lutz, FL
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:

If you aren't bIvan Soto? He's a piece of fecal matter, especially with this CBA cluster[boop]. I mean, he could effectively kill the AFL; it makes me wonder if he's a double agent for Jeff Bouchy.
or Kurz or Shurts
_________________
Storm 5ever, Sharks & Preds Nev3r #TT4AFLcommish BRING BACK IRONMAN FOOTBALL
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailAIM Address
Firstnten.net
Ironman

Joined: 23 Jun 2011
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Skodnick-Down-to-four-teams-Arena-Football-12452833.php

http://upstatecourier.com/rossiter-league-woes-cast-uncertainty-on-new-arena-football-team/
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
gosharks
Starter

Joined: 31 Aug 2010
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
4th&long wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
They needed to hire someone like him a couple of years earlier

He failed, but it's possible nothing would have worked


If you aren't bringing in league revenue no reason to have a high paid commissioner, period. Pay out for attorney's and consultants anyway, this way only when you need them.

Their number one issue was cost - lower the cost and promote gambling and Fantasy AFB for interest. I would gather that Commissioner/League office + CBSSN comes to 3mm+ a year spread over 5 teams is 600k, if it was 200/100k or lower likely still have TB at least and likely Glads too.
The single entity model isnt helping either

CBA another disaster, Ivan Soto another wannabe limousine liberal taking down the AFL. Real smart guy

Is a shame.


The commissioner should not be making more than $500k per season unless the AFL has more than 10 teams; that's a major fault... another issue, yes, is the CBSSN contract, but the league has had many opportunities to advertise itself as a different animal from the NFL, and make itself more of a semi-ironman league... but they didn't take the chance.

Ivan Soto? He's a piece of fecal matter, especially with this CBA cluster[boop]. I mean, he could effectively kill the AFL; it makes me wonder if he's a double agent for Jeff Bouchy.


Does anybody know what Butera's total annual compensation is? If he is earning anything close to $500K that is a mistake. I think on this MB (a few years ago) there was a post stating Kurz's compensation was $250K (salary) + bennies (health, life ins etc.), a generous expense account (including car allowance) and the right to own a team once no longer commissioner of the league.
_________________
"We're going to give the ball to Dumb-Ass (Champ Henson) and grind meat."--Woody Hayes
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
4th&long
MVP

Joined: 05 May 2017
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosharks wrote:
AFLNerd36 wrote:
4th&long wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
They needed to hire someone like him a couple of years earlier

He failed, but it's possible nothing would have worked


If you aren't bringing in league revenue no reason to have a high paid commissioner, period. Pay out for attorney's and consultants anyway, this way only when you need them.

Their number one issue was cost - lower the cost and promote gambling and Fantasy AFB for interest. I would gather that Commissioner/League office + CBSSN comes to 3mm+ a year spread over 5 teams is 600k, if it was 200/100k or lower likely still have TB at least and likely Glads too.
The single entity model isnt helping either

CBA another disaster, Ivan Soto another wannabe limousine liberal taking down the AFL. Real smart guy

Is a shame.


The commissioner should not be making more than $500k per season unless the AFL has more than 10 teams; that's a major fault... another issue, yes, is the CBSSN contract, but the league has had many opportunities to advertise itself as a different animal from the NFL, and make itself more of a semi-ironman league... but they didn't take the chance.

Ivan Soto? He's a piece of fecal matter, especially with this CBA cluster[boop]. I mean, he could effectively kill the AFL; it makes me wonder if he's a double agent for Jeff Bouchy.


Does anybody know what Butera's total annual compensation is? If he is earning anything close to $500K that is a mistake. I think on this MB (a few years ago) there was a post stating Kurz's compensation was $250K (salary) + bennies (health, life ins etc.), a generous expense account (including car allowance) and the right to own a team once no longer commissioner of the league.


Did I hear a $1million plus?
_________________
4th
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
malepig
Ironman

Joined: 05 Aug 2002
Location: Fort Myers, FL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not Butera's fault. It was not Kurz's fault either. Baker did have a hand in it with his $1 million salary and staff of 59 full time employees. I remember meeting John Elway who complained that he was selling out the Crush games but was still losing money.
There are many nails in the coffin in arena footballl. The death of the AFL started when the Firebirds went on sale on Ebay and could not get an owner. You then have extravagant fees by the AFL for an overstaffed office. You had the AFL taking the expansion money from the af2 to pay the bills plus each af2 team had to pay fees to the AFL as well.
Let's be clear on something else. When Kurz and his team bought the AFL there was no choice with the af2 owners who were still around. They did not want the AFL to keep having a majority ownership over them.
Lastly the arena football did not transfer well on TV. Unless you were a die hard fan, the AFL looked like the remains of a dead german Shepard on TV.
_________________
If you hate me, its only because you are jealous and inferior to me.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
DiamondThief
All Pro

Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Location: West Coast
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started writing a response, but I have moved it to my site and will turn it into a new blog.

The bottom line is that Scott C. Butera has no business earning a $1 salary for anything he has done. He has catastrophically destroyed the AFL to the point that Ted Leonsis is considered the "savior" of the league rather than Butera.

I have talked of this in the past here, so I am not going to belabor it. This league is dead. The principles just do not know it yet.
_________________
This post has been screen-grabbed to prevent tampering and plagerism.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
AFLNerd36
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jun 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiamondThief wrote:
I started writing a response, but I have moved it to my site and will turn it into a new blog.

The bottom line is that Scott C. Butera has no business earning a $1 salary for anything he has done. He has catastrophically destroyed the AFL to the point that Ted Leonsis is considered the "savior" of the league rather than Butera.

I have talked of this in the past here, so I am not going to belabor it. This league is dead. The principles just do not know it yet.


Will there be a league to replace the AFL, or will indoor football become a regional sport for several years? That's the critical question, at this point.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
mactheknife
All Pro

Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
Will there be a league to replace the AFL, or will indoor football become a regional sport for several years? That's the critical question, at this point.


Look around. There's nothing but regional leagues now, including AFL 2.0.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
DiamondThief
All Pro

Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Location: West Coast
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with mac, given that even the current AFL is a regional league, it's likely that regional leagues will be the norm for a while. The only way that really changes is if two or more leagues merge, creating a super league of sorts which encompasses a geographic bulk of the country.
_________________
This post has been screen-grabbed to prevent tampering and plagerism.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
AFLNerd36
Veteran

Joined: 19 Jun 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DiamondThief wrote:
I agree with mac, given that even the current AFL is a regional league, it's likely that regional leagues will be the norm for a while. The only way that really changes is if two or more leagues merge, creating a super league of sorts which encompasses a geographic bulk of the country.


Then what current leagues are likely to merge and form that super-league? IFL and CIF? NAL and AAL? Does the NAL absorb the remnants of the AFL and use that "growth" to pry away some AAL teams?
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
mactheknife
All Pro

Joined: 03 Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say none of them are 'likely' to do it. It might be beneficial for some to do so, but the likelihood of any of the existing leagues merging is pretty slim.

A new league cropping up and stealing away franchises from existing leagues would be far more likely I'd suspect - no, I don't know anyone's even thinking about that; it's just more likely.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
DiamondThief
All Pro

Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Location: West Coast
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:
I agree with mac, given that even the current AFL is a regional league, it's likely that regional leagues will be the norm for a while. The only way that really changes is if two or more leagues merge, creating a super league of sorts which encompasses a geographic bulk of the country.


Then what current leagues are likely to merge and form that super-league? IFL and CIF? NAL and AAL? Does the NAL absorb the remnants of the AFL and use that "growth" to pry away some AAL teams?

I would not even venture a guess at this point. I would think the adjacent leagues would be the most likely, but I'm not even predicting mergers of this sort at this time.
_________________
This post has been screen-grabbed to prevent tampering and plagerism.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
DiamondThief
All Pro

Joined: 19 Nov 2013
Location: West Coast
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
I'd say none of them are 'likely' to do it. It might be beneficial for some to do so, but the likelihood of any of the existing leagues merging is pretty slim.

A new league cropping up and stealing away franchises from existing leagues would be far more likely I'd suspect - no, I don't know anyone's even thinking about that; it's just more likely.

Yeah. And I was only saying a merger would be the only way we would see a league cover more of the country geographically. It was completely hypothetical.

A new league popping up and doing that could be an option, but that too is hypothetical (at this point at least).
_________________
This post has been screen-grabbed to prevent tampering and plagerism.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
ZubazQB
Starter

Joined: 07 Jul 2014
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Commissioner Butera Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:

but paying anyone to get your sports entertainment product is insane on the face of it - if you have a product worth anything, they pay you for the privilege of airing it. Maybe not much, but something.


You have zero idea how television works in actuality now, apparently.

My God, the people on this site...if they’re not busy making things up and saying they got it from “trusted sources,” they are displaying either their outright delusions about how popular arenaball is or could be with just a little bit of this or that or their abject ignorance of how sports business works.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group