The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Insiders, Fill Me In
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Insiders, Fill Me In
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Desperado
 

Joined: 14 Nov 2016
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Insiders, Fill Me In Reply with quote

What would you say are the chances that the AFL is not done expanding for 2018?

How likely is Newark? Orlando? I assume they both have be on board if the league wants to grow any more this offseason.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
AFLNerd36
Starter

Joined: 19 Jun 2016
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Insiders, Fill Me In Reply with quote

Desperado wrote:
What would you say are the chances that the AFL is not done expanding for 2018?

How likely is Newark? Orlando? I assume they both have be on board if the league wants to grow any more this offseason.

Thanks.


If Orlando returns under Siegel, then Newark would have to join, because Orlando's reason for ceasing operations was the lower number of teams (Siegel is only willing to pay for one-eighth of AFL operating expenses).
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

Joined: 01 Jan 2001
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Insiders, Fill Me In Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
Desperado wrote:
What would you say are the chances that the AFL is not done expanding for 2018?

How likely is Newark? Orlando? I assume they both have be on board if the league wants to grow any more this offseason.

Thanks.


If Orlando returns under Siegel, then Newark would have to join, because Orlando's reason for ceasing operations was the lower number of teams (Siegel is only willing to pay for one-eighth of AFL operating expenses).


I honestly haven't heard that Siegel is one that wants "back in".... maybe he does, and/or maybe he'd be willing to co-own with Vilek (TB). Or something else, who knows.

I would agree though, likely he doesn't want back in unless he is the 8th+ team in the league, and he feels that all of the other teams are extremely solid (ie, no VooDoo/Outlaws/Rush, etc ownership situations).
_________________
Play FREE Online Trivia for Prizes, CLICK HERE!

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
stormjr
All Pro

Joined: 30 May 2007
Location: Clearwater, FL
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that there is hope for one more. More than that would be unexpected and a bonus.

Newark - in play, but probably not this season, but who knows
Orlando - that city is like a gypsy right now, hard to read. ergo, not likely
_________________
Let's get that CBA done.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
me4afl
Starter

Joined: 09 Aug 2004
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this means a whole lot, but I just googled articles about the Albany expansion team announcement and most articles mentioned more teams could be added for 2018. Just seems interesting that that was mentioned. The brigade were announced November 14 of last year so thereís still some time to get things up and running. Iím crossing my fingers and toes for Newark and Pittsburgh.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
4th&long
Starter

Joined: 05 May 2017
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me4afl wrote:
Not that this means a whole lot, but I just googled articles about the Albany expansion team announcement and most articles mentioned more teams could be added for 2018. Just seems interesting that that was mentioned. The brigade were announced November 14 of last year so thereís still some time to get things up and running. Iím crossing my fingers and toes for Newark and Pittsburgh.


I just don't see it happening this year. Albany was likely a low cost choice (small market easier to reach and less competition) and a way to demonstrate to would be new owners that the league is serious and can expand prudently.
_________________
4th
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
toad8098
 

Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the league is trying hard to get both Orlando & Newark in for 2018. But time is running out. Orlando won't join unless Newark is ready. That's the big hold out now. It would benefit the league to have them join in 2018, then possibly Nashville & Detroit in 2019.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website
4th&long
Starter

Joined: 05 May 2017
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toad8098 wrote:
I'm sure the league is trying hard to get both Orlando & Newark in for 2018. But time is running out. Orlando won't join unless Newark is ready. That's the big hold out now. It would benefit the league to have them join in 2018, then possibly Nashville & Detroit in 2019.


I think what would benefit the league is to lock down 2018, put out a schedule and start marketing the season.

Also getting closure on the CBA

Releasing a late schedule didnt help ticket sales last yr
_________________
4th
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
TargetToad
Starter

Joined: 31 May 2017
Location: Lutz, FL
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
toad8098 wrote:
I'm sure the league is trying hard to get both Orlando & Newark in for 2018. But time is running out. Orlando won't join unless Newark is ready. That's the big hold out now. It would benefit the league to have them join in 2018, then possibly Nashville & Detroit in 2019.


I think what would benefit the league is to lock down 2018, put out a schedule and start marketing the season.

Also getting closure on the CBA

Releasing a late schedule didnt help ticket sales last yr
+1
_________________
RIP Orlando Predators, San Jose Sabercats, and Arizona Rattlers. Your wars will be missed. #TT4AFLPU
Back to top
View user's profileSend private messageAIM Address
AFLNerd36
Starter

Joined: 19 Jun 2016
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toad8098 wrote:
I'm sure the league is trying hard to get both Orlando & Newark in for 2018. But time is running out. Orlando won't join unless Newark is ready. That's the big hold out now. It would benefit the league to have them join in 2018, then possibly Nashville & Detroit in 2019.


Hopefully, after Orlando and Newark join, Nashville and Detroit announce for 2019 in the season opener... and then at the ArenaBowl, Charlotte and either Pittsburgh or Columbus announce their entrance into the AFL for 2019. Now, if Charlotte, Pittsburgh, and Columbus join in 2019, I think the AFL should try to encourage Miami to join.
Back to top
View user's profileSend private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group