The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Albany team to be announced
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Albany team to be announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
Desperado wrote:
So excited. I don't even care if this is all for expansion in 2018, just like to see the league headed in a positive direction, with no team movement.

After listening to Butera, I think Albany's going to be it for 2018.

I was not listening word for word.... what from Butera made you say this (although, I don't doubt it).

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
gosharks
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furrey4 wrote:
This is extremely exciting, shocked that they abandoned the NHL/NBA owner model but thrilled regardless. Seeing my Birds (or whatever they end up being called) back at the Times Union Center is going to be incredibly surreal.

Bring back Ari Wolfe to do play by play.
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
Desperado wrote:
So excited. I don't even care if this is all for expansion in 2018, just like to see the league headed in a positive direction, with no team movement.

I'd hope it's either 6 or 8 teams to avoid the scheduling bye week dunder.
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butera and the current AFL really does know how to announce an expansion team from DC, Baltimore, and now Albany. Its all looked really professional and the amount of press in newspapers/tv/radio + online is looking really good.
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
mactheknife wrote:
Desperado wrote:

I was not listening word for word.... what from Butera made you say this (although, I don't doubt it).

It's not what he said - it's what he didn't say. He was loose enough to hint at things that were imminent (e.g., a fantasy sports partnership) but obviously not yet nailed down... yet not one word about additional expansion. If it were on the horizon for 2018, I suspect that'd have been the first thing he'd have hinted at.
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the press release:

http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=pressrel&article=13715
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Butera has always been loose about potential sponsors, digital platform, and the innovation side of the AFL that he is looking to bring. He has always been tight lipped about expansion just generally giving estimates. I do think they want to stay at an even number this year either 6 or 8. I still believe that in the next 2-3 seasons we will see a year of like 6-8 new teams.
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing about potentially Newark. I highly doubt that the media in Albany would of continued to mention Newark in their articles if it wasn't true for '18 or '19 especially with one of Albany's owners also owning the newspaper.

Seems like someone would have said off the record to them to keep that out if it wasn't true.
Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
mactheknife wrote:
Desperado wrote:

I'm glad it's something, but still kinda bummed out its not ALB+ORL+other (hopefully south so Tampa/Orlando aren't on an island).

I would like to see Nashville thrown back into the mix as well.
me4afl
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based off of the article below, Butera was asked about possible expansion cities, but didnít give specifics. He did say that 1 or more could still be added for next season.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Skodnick-Albany-can-recapture-AFL-glory-days-12302821.php
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me4afl wrote:
Based off of the article below, Butera was asked about possible expansion cities, but didnít give specifics. He did say that 1 or more could still be added for next season.

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Skodnick-Albany-can-recapture-AFL-glory-days-12302821.php

While a 'secondary' market and not a 'butera model' franchise ....
This is a big WIN for the AFL. They get a new team, and even out the 2018 schedule. The appeal is that Albany had been highly attended in the past and successful. It follows the N.E. first expansion strategy. And most importantly its another step Forward.

Butera did not confidently say there would be another expansion team for 2018. Perhaps they need to show another successful franchise launch in Albany to get more teams for 2019. The lack of a new CBA in place may be impacting that, possibly?

Jaws seems over confident that they will have 12 teams in 3 years. They can't afford new franchises that fold and cost the league money (single entity model). Steady progress is more important then a rush.

With AFL on the mend, IFL firmed up, lets see if the NAL can solidify for a good year. The sport needs positive development in general.

Cheers to AFL and Albany. Something to look forward to after NFL/CFB.
in_a _rush
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that this is a win for the AFL. The mere fact that no team is relocating, switching leagues or relocating could be considered a win for the AFL.

I took a look at the franchise chart and there appears to have only been two seasons where every team returned the next season; 1999 and 2006. This will be the first time in the Post-NBC era where every team returns in the same city. That alone is a good step. Having Albany (and I'm holding out a bit of hope that once the CBA is figured out Newark and perhaps Orlando could come in also) join with another solid ownership group is icing on the cake.

12 teams by 2020 would be bold, but with the right groups I could see it happen. The overall success of Washington/Baltimore helped, and if Albany can have a strong launch this year it could lead to more. I think some of these big-money owners just want to see more proof that AFL teams can be successfully operated from a business standpoint.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, "technically" it is only 1999, as in 2006 New Orleans took the year off, but, that was because of the aftermath of Katrina.... the Hornets didn't play locally either that season, so, it affected everyone, so, while I don't disagree that AFL should get "credit" for 2006 bringing every team back, "technically" it didn't happen.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
gosharks
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="4th&long"]
me4afl wrote:

Jaws seems over confident that they will have 12 teams in 3 years. They can't afford new franchises that fold and cost the league money (single entity model). Steady progress is more important then a rush.

With Kurz gone and Butera in charge it appears the League is doing their due diligence. None of the nonsense that happened in Chicago under Kurz's watch. I didn't catch the Albany video conference. Is Albany contracted for more than one year?
FirebirdDW
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Albany Contract Reply with quote

[quote="gosharks"][quote="4th&long"][quote="me4afl"]
Jaws seems over confident that they will have 12 teams in 3 years. [b] They can't afford new franchises that fold and cost the league money (single [/b]entity model). Steady progress is more important then a rush.

[/quote]

With Kurz gone and Butera in charge it appears the League is doing their due diligence. None of the nonsense that happened in Chicago under Kurz's watch. I didn't catch the Albany video conference. Is Albany contracted for more than one year?[/quote]

Unsure, but Jaws said this is not a one year deal....they are in for the long hall.
af2 Albany Conquest Season Ticket Holder
af2 Albany Firebirds Season Ticket Holder
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Albany Contract Reply with quote

[quote="FirebirdDW"]
gosharks wrote:
4th&long wrote:
me4afl wrote:

With Kurz gone and Butera in charge it appears the League is doing their due diligence. None of the nonsense that happened in Chicago under Kurz's watch. I didn't catch the Albany video conference. Is Albany contracted for more than one year?

Unsure, but Jaws said this is not a one year deal....they are in for the long hall.

FirebirdDW. Will you change your profile name to match the new Albany team if it's not firebirds
toad8098

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be great if they could get two more expansion teams in for 2018(Newark & Nashville?). An 8 team league looks more respectable.

NORTH: Albany, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Newark
SOUTH: Tampa Bay, Nashville, Washington, Baltimore
ssnapier
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toad8098 wrote:
I would be great if they could get two more expansion teams in for 2018(Newark & Nashville?). An 8 team league looks more respectable.

Maybe sub Pittsburgh for Nashville or Newark? Either way, I like the look of this.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toad8098 wrote:

No Orlando love? The NAL could get Amway first.

But yes, 8 teams with 2 divisions would be cool. (I could totally see Nashville for 2019)
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
toad8098 wrote:

No Orlando love? The NAL could get Amway first.

But yes, 8 teams with 2 divisions would be cool. (I could totally see Nashville for 2019)

Add Pittsburgh to the North, and Orlando to the South. That would be good to see in 2018 or 2019....
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: