The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Albany team to be announced
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Albany team to be announced
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Furrey4
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is extremely exciting, shocked that they abandoned the NHL/NBA owner model but thrilled regardless. Seeing my Birds (or whatever they end up being called) back at the Times Union Center is going to be incredibly surreal.
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Send Tweet to @AlbanyAFL:

"ALBANY FIREBIRDS. Accept no substitutes!"

Though combining the past team's names would be interesting... "FireQuest" could give a medieval look and feel, while "Conbirds" could connonte jailbirds of some stripe and provide a fun, cartoonish look that would sell with kids.

They could also dust off the old Patroons name from the CBA/USBL days. Or scrap use of Albany and go with the "Empire State" something or others.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair, the OTHER "model" is every owner running two teams, so, from that standpoint, this is the Soul having 2 teams (which, I'll be honestly I would have thought would have been the last team to do that... although a smaller market like Albany is probably easier rent wise to start up).

What I will say is that while the Devils with Newark were the rumored owners of Albany... they have also been rumored with another location as well, so, we'll see if that ends up what is happening.

At that point, we could still get to 8 teams in 2018 or 2019, with Cleveland (Columbus or Detroit) and Tampa Bay (Orlando, Miami, elsewhere?) to possibly also do the same thing and get to 10 teams.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook

Last edited by afdave on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furrey4 wrote:
This is extremely exciting, shocked that they abandoned the NHL/NBA owner model but thrilled regardless. Seeing my Birds (or whatever they end up being called) back at the Times Union Center is going to be incredibly surreal.

I wouldn't say they've abandoned it, but like some of us said, they can't solely depend on it. I am a bit surprised it happening this early.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
Send Tweet to @AlbanyAFL:

"ALBANY FIREBIRDS. Accept no substitutes!"

Though combining the past team's names would be interesting... "FireQuest" could give a medieval look and feel, while "Conbirds" could connonte jailbirds of some stripe and provide a fun, cartoonish look that would sell with kids.

They could also dust off the old Patroons name from the CBA/USBL days. Or scrap use of Albany and go with the "Empire State" something or others.

Empire State City Hawks?
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:
Furrey4 wrote:

I wouldn't say they've abandoned it, but like some of us said, they can't solely depend on it. I am a bit surprised it happening this early.

Worst case scenario, it's a one time lapse for the sake of nostalgia pandering.
nick p
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somebody call Touchdown Eddie Brown for Head coach
docfl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last game last year I was talking to folks and a lot though Tampa would bring back the Preds. Need one more? how about the Firecats? only a couple hours down the road.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

docfl wrote:
Last game last year I was talking to folks and a lot though Tampa would bring back the Preds. Need one more? how about the Firecats? only a couple hours down the road.

Albany is a borderline "AFL" level team being 62nd largest metro area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_core-based_statistical_areas) as it is. Fort Myers is 82nd... IMO too small... I know Spokane is 100th... Des Moines is 91st.... (Grand Rapids is actually larger than many think... it is ranked 52nd, and has over 1 million people, and only 100k less than Buffalo or Salt Lake City).... but, Albany IMO should be the smallest the "new" AFL goes to.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albany makes sense if the other cities in northeast come into fruition over the next few seasons like Newark, Long Island, Boston, Buffalo, and maybe even CT. If that doesn't pan out well the AFL probably won't exist in any recognizable form as now. From DC to Boston they are connecting the dots than will do same eventually in southeast and Midwest

Des Moines or Spokane would of made sense if the league focused its rebuild in the Midwest or Pacific with 6-8 teams. Obvisouly expansion is focused in northeast corridor with potential in southeast and great lakes.
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... check into the Arena Football Facebook page around 10:30 am ET to see the press conference

seems twitter is @AlbanyAFL, but not confirmed yet, someone else could have set that up...
Cheetah99022
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
docfl wrote:

Albany is a borderline "AFL" level team being 62nd largest metro area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_core-based_statistical_areas) as it is. Fort Myers is 82nd... IMO too small... I know Spokane is 100th... Des Moines is 91st.... (Grand Rapids is actually larger than many think... it is ranked 52nd, and has over 1 million people, and only 100k less than Buffalo or Salt Lake City).... but, Albany IMO should be the smallest the "new" AFL goes to.

Spokane is a mid 70's TV market. Ranked 75th, by Station Nation, Des Moines, 71st, Grand Rapids 39th, Albany 57th.
mikeg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Stop with the "Empire Firebirds". This was tried the first time around, calling the team the NY (Albany) Firebirds (I still have ArenaBall magazines from the first few years of the team with that on the front page).

Nobody is going to think Albany is NYC, and Albany has national recognition (The Great Danes from SUNY Albany have made the NCAA's quite a few times in the last decade). It was a stupid idea then, and worst now.

2) I'm hearing the same story again on ArenaFan about "national market size". That's only important if you think you're going to get a significant TV contract. Guess what, without the NFL behind this league, that will never happen. You're never going to get more than a tiny percentage of major market TV viewers to view this product (again, what was needed was the NFL tie in, which will never happen after what the Red Dogs/Gladiators did in leaving NJ and stiffing Chris Mara. The AFL didn't leave a good taste with the NFL Network, either. It's going to take a LONG time for that stink to settle!)

At best, we might get some time on ESPN2. More likely is ESPN3 or CBS.

3) Albany offers a lot of advantages. The market had legit 10,000+ attendance average over it's lifetime...actual people in the seats, not paper sellouts. If you asked ESPN, they loved televising games from the Times Union Center (the old Knickerbocker Arena), as it was a "live" crowd. The fans here also traveled...you could see Firebirds fans at NJ, Buffalo, Hartford, Long Island, MSG, etc.

Albany is a natural stop over for Long Island, Boston, Buffalo, Montreal, Hartford, Brooklyn, etc...all within 3-6 hours train/bus ride. It's a perfect hub for the Northeast division and the potential teams in that division.

4) The best mix for this league (IMO) is a mix of smaller markets and low end Majors. Grand Rapids, Akron, Milwaukee, Cincy, Pittsburgh...those are the market sizes that should work. Mix in a few larger cities, as well. But going to all major markets is a failed strategy. The only reason it was done at the time was to promote the old AFL's "pyramid scheme" of over valuing the teams worth to fleece owners like Wang (Dragons).

That lead to the original League's collapse, (as well documented in ArenaFan history), once owners saw the books. The AFL will only survive if the league ownership groups understand what their niche is, and work on keeping franchises in their original cities (not moving them around and poisoning markets to make a quick buck). Will they? We'll see!
Reppact
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presser being streamed at 10:30am on AFL Facebook and AFL Now.

Everything happens so fast, it's like playing football on a postage stamp - Lee Corso
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reppact wrote:

How long will the presser be?
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
billscarnage wrote:
Furrey4 wrote:

Worst case scenario, it's a one time lapse for the sake of nostalgia pandering.

The Philadelphia 76ers ownership is partly involved in the Albany expansion...
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
Reppact wrote:

How long will the presser be?

Never know for sure. Start time is 10:30, i'd guess it goes for about 15--30 minutes. never know when they end the stream
Desperado

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So excited. I don't even care if this is all for expansion in 2018, just like to see the league headed in a positive direction, with no team movement.
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado wrote:
So excited. I don't even care if this is all for expansion in 2018, just like to see the league headed in a positive direction, with no team movement.

After listening to Butera, I think Albany's going to be it for 2018.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
Desperado wrote:

After listening to Butera, I think Albany's going to be it for 2018.

I'm glad it's something, but still kinda bummed out its not ALB+ORL+other (hopefully south so Tampa/Orlando aren't on an island).
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: