The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - How Best to Move Back Out West
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
How Best to Move Back Out West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
in_a _rush
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: How Best to Move Back Out West Reply with quote

So while the league is currently solidifying itself on the East Coast, if all goes well they will eventually begin eyeing expansion further west again. If so, how d you all think it could/should go? Will they add teams one at a time or perhaps hope to expand with a whole division at once?

My personal hope would be that in 2019 or 2020 they announce a Midwest Division. Adding a whole division at once makes the most sense to me in terms of travel and logistics, and having that team in the Midwest makes it less isolated from the rest of the league than a Pacific Division would be. I also think this lines up well with some rumors and possibilities on the horizon. I think these four could make a strong division (ownership interest pending of course).

If things go well with the Midwest, then maybe do a Southwest or Mid-South Division, but probably give the Midwest at least two years to settle in and strengthen itself.

Potential teams...?

Midwest (2019/20): Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, St. Louis
Southwest (2022): Arizona, Dallas, Oklahoma City, San Antonio

If we can get to 8 teams this year, this would be 16 teams by 2022, and we'd be looking at a strong national league again if things are done right.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How Best to Move Back Out West Reply with quote

in_a _rush wrote:
So while the league is currently solidifying itself on the East Coast, if all goes well they will eventually begin eyeing expansion further west again. If so, how d you all think it could/should go? Will they add teams one at a time or perhaps hope to expand with a whole division at once?

My personal hope would be that in 2019 or 2020 they announce a Midwest Division. Adding a whole division at once makes the most sense to me in terms of travel and logistics, and having that team in the Midwest makes it less isolated from the rest of the league than a Pacific Division would be. I also think this lines up well with some rumors and possibilities on the horizon. I think these four could make a strong division (ownership interest pending of course).

If things go well with the Midwest, then maybe do a Southwest or Mid-South Division, but probably give the Midwest at least two years to settle in and strengthen itself.

Potential teams...?

If we can get to 8 teams this year, this would be 16 teams by 2022, and we'd be looking at a strong national league again if things are done right.

Hope the Cif-IFL lawsuit goes bad but not too bad so that Arizona and Iowa can't escape. Add Texas and Missouri for 2019. Merge with NAL+Zona+Iowa.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How Best to Move Back Out West Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
in_a _rush wrote:

Potential teams...?

Hope the Cif-IFL lawsuit goes bad but not too bad so that Arizona and Iowa can't escape. Add Texas and Missouri for 2019. Merge with NAL+Zona+Iowa.

That would make the divisions
North: Iowa, Cleveland, Massachusetts, Albany, Philly, Jersey, Baltimore, Pittsburgh (Leigh Valley), Detroit
South: Tampa, Monterrey, Orlando (Georgia; as Preds), J'ville, DC, Zona, Texas, Missouri, Atlanta (Columbus)
adviserkulikov

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way for it to expand out west would be to capitalize on a collapse of another league. You need a large number of teams on the west coast in order to reduce travel costs and keep conference play varied.

Quite frankly, the most westward expansion possible would be an IFL-AFL merger, there just aren't established teams out west anymore, so central is the limit.

To establish a west coast conference would be a 3+ year endeavor requiring multiple ownership groups to sign on before continuing. I'd say you need at least 4 teams to reduce travel costs, preferably you'd have 6 so that you can have a decent season with only 1-2 cross conference games.
gosharks
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adviserkulikov wrote:
The best way for it to expand out west would be to capitalize on a collapse of another league. You need a large number of teams on the west coast in order to reduce travel costs and keep conference play varied.

Quite frankly, the most westward expansion possible would be an IFL-AFL merger, there just aren't established teams out west anymore, so central is the limit.

To establish a west coast conference would be a 3+ year endeavor requiring multiple ownership groups to sign on before continuing. I'd say you need at least 4 teams to reduce travel costs, preferably you'd have 6 so that you can have a decent season with only 1-2 cross conference games.

If the discussion is only about AFL westward expansion Arizona is the only organization currently playing that remotely fits the AFL/Butera business model. Some might say Iowa could be another Albany, but that is so untrue. Iowa doesn't have Albany's ownership team nor the capital muscle to compete in the AFL.

IMO, if Butera and co, want to expand westward it would have to be a minimum of 4 teams all beginning play the same year (e.g. 4 cities like Phoenix, Denver, San Antonio, Sacramento).
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gosharks wrote:
adviserkulikov wrote:

If the discussion is only about AFL westward expansion Arizona is the only organization currently playing that remotely fits the AFL/Butera business model. Some might say Iowa could be another Albany, but that is so untrue. Iowa doesn't have Albany's ownership team nor the capital muscle to compete in the AFL.

IMO, if Butera and co, want to expand westward it would have to be a minimum of 4 teams all beginning play the same year (e.g. 4 cities like Phoenix, Denver, San Antonio, Sacramento).

Why take an expansion to Phoenix when the Rattlers exist?
gosharks
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
gosharks wrote:
adviserkulikov wrote:

Why take an expansion to Phoenix when the Rattlers exist?

Semantics. You wouldn't need expansion per se (since the Rattlers now exist...as noted in 1st paragraph). The cities mentioned were only examples. Making a pt that 4 teams would be required to expand Westward. Other than 'Zona (lesser extent IA) teams in the IFL/CIFL wouldn't meet the minimum AFL requirements.
Desperado

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look at trying to bring in at least 2 expansion teams in either Dallas, San Antonio, Houston or Austin, and hope that would attract the Rattlers to come back. Denver would be a great city, too, to make a four-team West division.
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado wrote:
I would look at trying to bring in at least 2 expansion teams in either Dallas, San Antonio, Houston or Austin, and hope that would attract the Rattlers to come back. Denver would be a great city, too, to make a four-team West division.

I would try to bring in the two Texas teams AND at least one of the following:
Salt Lake City, Utah
Denver, Colorado
Las Vegas, Nevada
Tucson, Arizona
San Diego, CA
Sacramento, CA
San Jose, CA
Los Angeles, CA

Even better would be almost all of the above teams... I put L.A. on the list, but an AFL team probably won't survive there due to the Rams and the Chargers sucking all of the sports coverage out of the area... unless the L.A. team (Avengers? Kraken? Longshoremen?) goes undefeated... which is unheard of for an AFL team.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Expansion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: