The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Breaking: IFL Expansion Annoucement
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Breaking: IFL Expansion Annoucement
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Breaking: IFL Expansion Annoucement Reply with quote

http://goifl.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20170912rbu19k

>>The Indoor Football League (IFL) is proud to announce the addition and partnership of two new members for the 2018 season in the Bloomington Edge and the West Michigan Ironmen

~

The IFL will continue to unveil new announcements regarding the 2018 season as the league prepares for the Annual Board of Directors Meetings in Las Vegas, NV. The two-day event will take place on October 2nd and 3rd.<<

2 CIF teams bolt to IFL. These are two smaller markets and it will be interesting to see how they work out long term. But short term the IFL scored a coup.

And makes the SF move to CIF that much more a head scratcher

Last edited by 4th&long on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rest of the world, "Who?"

Hey, at least it's not another 5-team league.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:
Rest of the world, "Who?"

Hey, at least it's not another 5-team league.

Definitely small market teams but Bloomington has been around for over a decade and was in the IFL before.

And more to the AFL fan....the former AFL (AZ, Iowa) and AF2 (GB) teams in the IFL now have a better shot at a successful 2018 season.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said the league wasn't dead and this proves it. I'm curious to see if any more expansion is announced after this.

RIP New Orleans VooDoo and Colorado Crush
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:
I said the league wasn't dead and this proves it. I'm curious to see if any more expansion is announced after this.

There probably will be more expansion... I think the next expansion team will be in Vegas. Why, you ask?

4th&long wrote:
The IFL will continue to unveil new announcements regarding the 2018 season as the league prepares for the Annual Board of Directors Meetings in Las Vegas, NV. The two-day event will take place on October 2nd and 3rd.

The last time, the meetings were held in AZ, the city of the most recent team to join... that's just a gut feeling on my part, though.
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Expansion" isn't the term here. "Raiding" (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) is more accurate. It's kind of odd though that CIF/IFL are kind of doing an NCAA-style realignment among themselves.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
"Expansion" isn't the term here. "Raiding" (and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) is more accurate. It's kind of odd though that CIF/IFL are kind of doing an NCAA-style realignment among themselves.

Yes its a raiding style way to expand but basically they lost 2 to CIF and gained 2 back - net net 0 between the leagues. So They lost the scamhicse teams in SLC and Colorado; also Spokane folded. All teams more costly for travel. They may be in better shape this way.

I bet SF is rethinking their switch now that the IFL is not only going forward but with 6 teams in their 'driving' zone. and they lose 2 teams in CIF travel zone. WF I still think makes more sense to switch CIF for travel cost in texas area or they may have folded anyway.

Ironically - I'll bet the "merger" talks opened up the door not to IFL joining CIF but those 2 teams jumping to the IFL. Is this the end or will more teams follow? And is this just a bandaid for the IFL or are these teams stable enough longer term? At any rate I think its better for the sport for the IFL to still be around.
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw from an indoor football facebook group its that those teams weren't performing well in the CIF off the field and their future in the league was in doubt either in '18 or down the road.

Geographically they have a better fit for the IFL but also supposedly the league/Arizona used their expansion money from last season + potentially Arizona sporting some of the bill this year to bring them in. This will be used to create more of an illusion of stability as the league "retries" in 2019 to either grow or merge with the CIF.

I have looked at the Edge Facebook and looks like they maybe draw on a good night 1k but are usually under that number. As for Western Michigan I am not sure but I do know their arena is pretty much no frills.

Once again I have no proof or insider knowledge but that's what was said multiple times by people on the facebook group.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaFanJersey wrote:
From what I saw from an indoor football facebook group its that those teams weren't performing well in the CIF off the field and their future in the league was in doubt either in '18 or down the road.

Geographically they have a better fit for the IFL but also supposedly the league/Arizona used their expansion money from last season + potentially Arizona sporting some of the bill this year to bring them in. This will be used to create more of an illusion of stability as the league "retries" in 2019 to either grow or merge with the CIF.

I have looked at the Edge Facebook and looks like they maybe draw on a good night 1k but are usually under that number. As for Western Michigan I am not sure but I do know their arena is pretty much no frills.

Once again I have no proof or insider knowledge but that's what was said multiple times by people on the facebook group.

Can you post a link to the facebook page?

From what I gather more than a few teams in the CIF aren't performing well, they aren't a financially strong league.
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the Indoor Football Forum. Its a group page and thought you need to have access to see since its private. I'll see what I can do.

Really seemed that Arizona really is footing the bill for the league either directly or indirectly with a little from Green Bay and Iowa.

I remember hearing that even Cedar Rapids wasn't that strong financially last season compared to the past for whatever reason or various different ones. I think that from what I've read from people more knowledgeable it goes Arizona, Iowa, Green Bay then a giant gap Nebraska, Cedar Rapids, and 2 new teams when it comes to finances.
LoveFB

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an accurate ranking of finances, Jersey.

For certain, the IFL was the “brand” the CIF wanted. This was never going to occur. As I posted a few weeks ago, this expansion was foretold.

http://www.arenafan.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=126465

For certain, in no way, shape or form will the IFL have a team in Vegas. Traditionally, the Director’s meetings are in Vegas. Why not? Vegas is a great place to have your meetings. Last year, it was the Coaches and Official’s clinic which was held in Arizona. In part because Arizona was the new kid on the block and hosted the meetings. Plus, it didn’t hurt that the Redskins were playing in Arizona that weekend. (The prior year the same clinic was held in Chicago, when the Redskins were in town playing the Bears. Go figure.) The Directors certainly prefer Vegas, so don't read anything into this. There will be no team in Vegas. Too many ways to spend a dollar in Vegas, than to watch an indoor football game!

In any event, the IFL will survive another season is this tumultuous sport, and remain the current standard bearer. Top notch front office; and solid ownership poised to succeed. In all likelihood, 8 teams moving forward. It's a wonder Cleveland hasn't jumped ship yet.

Stay tuned.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's a wonder Cleveland hasn't jumped ship yet."?

WTF?

Why do people keep claiming the NBA & NHL owners want to be in the IFL or any other indoor league?

News alert..... the NBA/NHL owners of the AFL don't want to own Arena/Indoor football teams in their major league arenas playing teams from places predominantly like Nebraska and Sioux Falls.

If the AFL blows up and the NBA/NHL owners drop their ownership.... OK, someone else swoops in and creates a team at the IFL/CIF level in Cleveland, sure. It just will NOT be Gilbert..... or Vilek.... or Leonsis.... or the Devils ownership.... etc.

I'll eat my words when we see the first owner of an IFL/NAL level or lower league that is a billionaire sports team owner.... we haven't seen that yet though, and I doubt we ever will.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaFanJersey wrote:
Its the Indoor Football Forum. Its a group page and thought you need to have access to see since its private. I'll see what I can do.

Really seemed that Arizona really is footing the bill for the league either directly or indirectly with a little from Green Bay and Iowa.

I remember hearing that even Cedar Rapids wasn't that strong financially last season compared to the past for whatever reason or various different ones. I think that from what I've read from people more knowledgeable it goes Arizona, Iowa, Green Bay then a giant gap Nebraska, Cedar Rapids, and 2 new teams when it comes to finances.

I can believe that just based on the size of their markets and attendance (which go in step usually). That's why I think WF going to CIF was a smart move. I still don't get SF leaving. AZ is a tier 1 mkt, Iowa a tier 2 and GB a larger tier 3 - the rest maybe half the size of GB. That's why I hope the rumor of Tucson expansion is true. That's a 1mm plus metro area and if done well should get at least Iowa sized attendance.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:

WTF?

Why do people keep claiming the NBA & NHL owners want to be in the IFL or any other indoor league?

News alert..... the NBA/NHL owners of the AFL don't want to own Arena/Indoor football teams in their major league arenas playing teams from places predominantly like Nebraska and Sioux Falls.

If the AFL blows up and the NBA/NHL owners drop their ownership.... OK, someone else swoops in and creates a team at the IFL/CIF level in Cleveland, sure. It just will NOT be Gilbert..... or Vilek.... or Leonsis.... or the Devils ownership.... etc.

I'll eat my words when we see the first owner of an IFL/NAL level or lower league that is a billionaire sports team owner.... we haven't seen that yet though, and I doubt we ever will.

Dave 90% of the posts around here are about the NAL IFL and CIFL.

I'm kinda surprised Tim is allowing this.

Nice to see you're finally getting a little frustrated with this stuff.

You can soon move on and join me in ambivalence.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:

WTF?

I totally agree.

But the reverse may be true, rich guys not in the NBA/NHL may want to be in the AFL (or similar) Shurts in AZ for example.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:

I thought it was a Tycoon.... Surprised Laughing
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
afdave wrote:

WTF?

I totally agree.

But the reverse may be true, rich guys not in the NBA/NHL may want to be in the AFL (or similar) Shurts in AZ for example.

There is an old joke by Chris Rock, about the difference between "Rich" and "Wealthy".......

Shaquille O'Neal (I told you it was an old joke) is rich..... the guy who SIGNS his paychecks is wealthy.

Yes, Shurts is rich, but, the AFL really wants "wealthy" owners (ie, signing the paychecks of NBA & NHL stars).

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
4th&long wrote:
afdave wrote:

WTF?

I totally agree.

There is an old joke by Chris Rock, about the difference between "Rich" and "Wealthy".......

Shaquille O'Neal (I told you it was an old joke) is rich..... the guy who SIGNS his paychecks is wealthy.

Yes, Shurts is rich, but, the AFL really wants "wealthy" owners (ie, signing the paychecks of NBA & NHL stars).

Totally. AFL wants a certain wealthy owner with ownership in NBA/NHL.

Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
ArenaFanJersey wrote:

I can believe that just based on the size of their markets and attendance (which go in step usually). That's why I think WF going to CIF was a smart move. I still don't get SF leaving. AZ is a tier 1 mkt, Iowa a tier 2 and GB a larger tier 3 - the rest maybe half the size of GB. That's why I hope the rumor of Tucson expansion is true. That's a 1mm plus metro area and if done well should get at least Iowa sized attendance.

Tucson is also home of the Roadrunners, the AHL affiliate of the Coyotes... so, it's possible that if the Coyotes ownership wants to get into the AFL, they could buy the Tucson team when the Rattlers return... plus, that's a massive rivalry opportunity there. The Territorial Cup rivalry is big here in AZ; if any of that carries over into a Rattlers-Tucson rivalry, it'll get intense fast....
DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaFanJersey wrote:

"Supposedly?" According to whom? I know you later said you had no sources, but throwing that out there is not credible. Of course, if you get your information from facebook posters, it is certain to not be credible.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: