The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Well
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Well
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VooDooNut
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

what do you guys think?

I say 75% chance of another 5 team season
25% chance of going under
DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

Probably the opposite.
LoveFB

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were smart; the 4 owners would do what Iowa and Arizona did and join the IFL. Subsidize travel ala Arizona for a few years, and make it work.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoveFB wrote:
If they were smart; the 4 owners would do what Iowa and Arizona did and join the IFL. Subsidize travel ala Arizona for a few years, and make it work.

Philly might do that, but otheewise, the "AFL" is the NBA/NHL owners right now, it is 4 of the 5 teams, and if you believe the expansion rumors, the next 3 teams as well.... I can guarantee you they have no interest playing against teams from Cedar Rapids and Nebraska. The IFL right now really only has the Rattlers... there isn't anything else in the IFL that would really interest them... even the Salt Lake market isn't there anymore.

I know some will say the rumors might just be smoke... very well could be... we'll know in about a month or two... either the AFL will have 8 or 9 teams for 2018, or the league is likely dead, I don't know that there is a "middle" where they just stand pat.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
LoveFB wrote:

Philly might do that, but otheewise, the "AFL" is the NBA/NHL owners right now, it is 4 of the 5 teams, and if you believe the expansion rumors, the next 3 teams as well.... I can guarantee you they have no interest playing against teams from Cedar Rapids and Nebraska. The IFL right now really only has the Rattlers... there isn't anything else in the IFL that would really interest them... even the Salt Lake market isn't there anymore.

I know some will say the rumors might just be smoke... very well could be... we'll know in about a month or two... either the AFL will have 8 or 9 teams for 2018, or the league is likely dead, I don't know that there is a "middle" where they just stand pat.

Latest rumor on here was Newark & Albany - that's 7 teams. If I were the new owner I'd start with one team anyway and get to an even 6 teams.

I do think they will play with 5 teams if needed though - as long as they are getting 10k a game in top 4 why not? But they need to eliminate 1 playoff team to make the regular season more meaningful.
Bring Back The Rush

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: The Moment Reply with quote

[quote="afdave"]
LoveFB wrote:

Exactly what I am thinking. I have no faith in Buetera, I believe the rumors are all smoke and mirrors, and the league will probably be dead in 2 months, BUT I hope they prove me wrong.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

If they get a CBA done sooner than later. Next year there will be 8 teams.

As far as putting a percentage on it. I don't see how that's possible without knowing what's going on with the negotiations.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

Firstnten.net wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

As far as putting a percentage on it. I don't see how that's possible without knowing what's going on with the negotiations.

How do you know it will be 8 teams ? Based on what?

as far as the CBA - The CBA will either be signed or tossed - that's not going to be a road block.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
Firstnten.net wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

as far as the CBA - The CBA will either be signed or tossed - that's not going to be a road block.

What makes your baseless rumors more relevant that anyone else's?

The CBA is not a road block...it will be tossed...

There is no CBA after September 30th so there's no tossing anything. It's done.

How does the league move forward without a CBA? wouldn't not having a CBA in place also effect the league in china?

Why would the league even consider going forward without a CBA in place?

It brings stability to the league. Whose to say that if they do go forward without one that the same thing that happened, happens again? The players banning together and disrupting the season?

Why would the league even chance that when they are trying to attract owners?

Where did I get the 8 teams thing where did you get Albany and Newark?

Tack on Barclay Center to the rumor mill....

Your posts are sure starting to have a similar tone too that of spidermanMJ
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstnten.net wrote:
4th&long wrote:
Firstnten.net wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

How does the league move forward without a CBA? wouldn't not having a CBA in place also effect the league in china?

It brings stability to the league. Whose to say that if they do go forward without one that the same thing that happened, happens again? The players banning together and disrupting the season?

I'm not trying to make this personal - in the slightest. I was just inquiring where you got 8 teams - if its your own guess so be it.

I don;t know what that last line means but other leagues operate without a CBA so if needed they can too. Its a single entity so its not like they are competing against each other. Yes, I already stated the CBA brings some stability to the league and I already stated I'd wait till its in place as a new owner.

I'm not making baseless rumors - we have heard from sources that Newark and ALbany are the 2 teams - that was reported on here. Also 2 owners mentioned expansion in a public space. that's all. Are they baseless? no are they concrete no?
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
Firstnten.net wrote:
4th&long wrote:
Firstnten.net wrote:
VooDooNut wrote:
what do you guys think?

I'm not trying to make this personal - in the slightest. I was just inquiring where you got 8 teams - if its your own guess so be it.

I don;t know what that last line means but other leagues operate without a CBA so if needed they can too. Its a single entity so its not like they are competing against each other. Yes, I already stated the CBA brings some stability to the league and I already stated I'd wait till its in place as a new owner.

I'm not making baseless rumors - we have heard from sources that Newark and ALbany are the 2 teams - that was reported on here. Also 2 owners mentioned expansion in a public space. that's all. Are they baseless? no are they concrete no?

Reported by who? People on this MB? Or "sources" nameless ones. 9 times out of 10 when it comes to indoor football and when it comes to expansion and league fiscal heath there is a lot of BS to sift through IMO.

Voodoo ask for am opinion thats all. I can't say where I heard the third team from. But it makes sense in comparison to Washington and Baltimore Maybe Tim, Dave, Ben, and Jim may have heard the same. Either way I'll believe it when I see it.
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstnten.net wrote:
Reported by who? People on this MB? Or "sources" nameless ones. 9 times out of 10 when it comes to indoor football and when it comes to expansion and league fiscal heath there is a lot of BS to sift through IMO.

Voodoo ask for am opinion thats all. I can't say where I heard the third team from. But it makes sense in comparison to Washington and Baltimore Maybe Tim, Dave, Ben, and Jim may have heard the same. Either way I'll believe it when I see it.

Zing, spot on.
mikeg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Albany and Newark Reply with quote

Albany and Newark weren't mentioned by "nameless sources". This was from an article in the Albany Times Union, see the link:

Times Union Center eyeing return of Arena Football, indoor lacrosse

None of this was a done deal, and things may certainly change with no CBA. The person in the article who talked about the AFL was Bob Belber, manager of the Times Union Arena for the last 23 years. He's backed by SMG, one of the world wide giants in Arena Entertainment Management. Again, this was not a done deal, it will depend on the Devils and SMG (who had a very long and friendly arrangement with the Devils old Albany farm team) agreeing.
Reppact
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newark and Albany were mentioned as expansion teamsin the South Philly paper the day before ArenaBowl.

https://southphillyreview.com/soul-hosting-arenabowl-xxx-on-saturday-d91b89601ebe

The only thing it didn't say was whether it was for 2018 or 2019.

As for a 3rd team... nothing concrete.

Everything happens so fast, it's like playing football on a postage stamp - Lee Corso
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% there is a 2018 season. Five teams or more, CBA or not.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:

+1

We can go to our front page poll to see what the consensus is:

How many teams do you think the AFL will have in 2018?
10 13.8%
9 0.6%
8 29.8%
7 8.7%
6 16.3%
5 13.5%
0 17.3%

So, less than 1 in 5 thinking the league folds. Most people feeling like the league will get up to 8, with 6 being the next most likely.

DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
billscarnage wrote:

+1

We can go to our front page poll to see what the consensus is:

How many teams do you think the AFL will have in 2018?
10 13.8%
9 0.6%
8 29.8%
7 8.7%
6 16.3%
5 13.5%
0 17.3%

So, less than 1 in 5 thinking the league folds. Most people feeling like the league will get up to 8, with 6 being the next most likely.

With all due respect, Dave, this is not a scientific poll. Any team which might be announced at this point would be rushed into the league for 2018 (2019 would be a different story, of course). This would be akin to the criticisms of Jerry Kurz for rushing teams into the AFL. same result. I would also only mention that I would be surprised if any owner actually agrees in 2017, to start a team in 2019. Could it happen? Sure. Is it realistic? Likely not.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I claim it was scientific?

It is just what the consensus of the "fans" think will happen.

We'll see what happens soon enough.

DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
Did I claim it was scientific?

It is just what the consensus of the "fans" think will happen.

We'll see what happens soon enough.

No need to get defensive. Just pointing out that those voting on AF could be quite different than the overall count of AFL fans.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: