The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Rumor Central
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Rumor Central
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Rumor Central Reply with quote

Let's look at latest Rumors:

1) 2 IFL teams leaving or left for CIF - SF and WF reported in Quadcity media and WF owner interviews (both now confirmed on CIF website -WF as of 9/12/17)

2) 2 IFL teams moving to NAL (Sharkdude on ArenaFan MB)

3) 5 remaining IFL teams merging/joining CIF (also quadcity media also BtWA facebook

4) NAL adding teams in Orlando Richmond Boston Providence (Richmond confirmed)

5) NAL attempted to buy Predators name from AFl and was rebuffed - per Predpop1 of Arena fan MB

6) IFL 5 teams have commited to 2018 season (IFL website)

7) AFL adding anywhere from 2-5 teams - per Leonis interview, Jaws on radio during Soul game, BtWA quoting reporter
- from multiple news sources Newark and Albany to be added
[edit 8/27 from mactheknife-AFB] No clear announcement from Butera regarding expansion during his AB XXX interview. Basically he said it was still in the works.

8) 1 of the new teams will be in Texas; (Butera last month) [from Toad]

9) NY Dragons trademarked by NAL - (added 8/27 from Macketheknife-AFB
http://trademarkia.com/new-york-dragons-87559097.html

10) Richmond RoughRiders possibly out of NAL before they get in? [see separate thread 4th&long - and that's no longer a rumor as of 9/13 RR are now in AAL - [http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/09/13/richmond-roughrider-leave-nal-join-aal/]

Any others? Rumors only

Last edited by 4th&long on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:14 pm; edited 8 times in total
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rumor Central Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
Let's look at latest Rumors:

1) 2 IFL teams leaving or left for CIF - SF and WF reported in Quadcity media and WF owner interviews

2) 2 IFL teams moving to NAL (Sharkdude on ArenaFan MB)

3) 5 remaining IFL teams merging/joining CIF (also quadcity media also BtWA facebook

4) NAL adding teams in Orlando Richmond Boston Providence (Richmond confirmed)

5) NAL attempted to buy Predators name from AFl and was rebuffed - per Predpop1 of Arena fan MB

6) IFL 5 teams have commited to 2018 season (IFL website)

7) AFL adding anywhere from 2-5 teams - per Leonis interview, Jaws on radio during Soul game, BtWA quoting reporter

Any others? Rumors only

8. 1 of the new teams will be in Texas; (Butera last month)
gladsfan4eva
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to this article, Newark, NJ and Albany, NY expected for next season. https://southphillyreview.com/soul-hosting-arenabowl-xxx-on-saturday-d91b89601ebe

"Sources have revealed the Arena Football League is expanding with teams in Albany, N.Y. and Newark, N.J.
Hollis said he heard there may be new teams coming in and obviously was happy to see the league’s gamble with restrictions on who can own an AFL franchise appears to be paying off."
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gladsfan4eva wrote:
According to this article, Newark, NJ and Albany, NY expected for next season. https://southphillyreview.com/soul-hosting-arenabowl-xxx-on-saturday-d91b89601ebe

"Sources have revealed the Arena Football League is expanding with teams in Albany, N.Y. and Newark, N.J.
Hollis said he heard there may be new teams coming in and obviously was happy to see the league’s gamble with restrictions on who can own an AFL franchise appears to be paying off."

Wow thats big news though i think Albany is against butera's own model even if a shared org with Newark. Its a small market like Leigh vAlley sized. I think its risky. But it is expansion.

Great article find Glads!
predpop1
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newark and Albany do not fit the model that the commissioner laid out for new owners so how can that be?
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

predpop1 wrote:
Newark and Albany do not fit the model that the commissioner laid out for new owners so how can that be?

Newark would be owned by the Devils.... their arena in is Newark.

Albany is a bit like Baltimore... it will also be owned by the Devils. This "owning teams in pairs" IS actually a follow up to the "NBA/NHL/Facility" owner model, and might be also used by Tampa (Orlando?) and Cleveland (Detroit or Columbus?). If they go Columbus, I could see the Pistons doing Detroit and maybe Grand Rapids (since their D/G-League team plays in Grand Rapids).

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
gladsfan4eva
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Newark will be owned by the NJ Devils organization, which also ran the Albany Devils of the AHL. The AHL team has relocated to Binghamton which leaves Albany as an open market with little competition on the local sports scene.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also with Albany, it plays into the other plan which is I think to expand rapidly in the Northeast and midwest to surround the existing teams with more teams within easy/cheaper travel distance.

Tampa then will eventually get some more southern teams probably, and then they'll only expand west of the Mississippi I think when they have 3-4 teams they can prop up in the same season.

That I think is the "long term plan" (ie, 14-16 teams by like 2022-2023).... we'll see if they can get to it.

afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if this comes to pass, it will be interesting to see what they name the team.

Past teams playing in Newark have called themselves "NJ" and not "New York", although it is certainly in the "NYC" market area.

Being named "New Jersey" might just been seen as sticking with the naming of the parent club (Devils), but, it might also be a sign that the league wants to save the NY name for a team playing in Nassau or Brooklyn in 2019 (IMO I don't see a NY team playing at MSG... I could be wrong, but, just my feeling).

4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
predpop1 wrote:

Newark would be owned by the Devils.... their arena in is Newark.

Albany is a bit like Baltimore... it will also be owned by the Devils. This "owning teams in pairs" IS actually a follow up to the "NBA/NHL/Facility" owner model, and might be also used by Tampa (Orlando?) and Cleveland (Detroit or Columbus?). If they go Columbus, I could see the Pistons doing Detroit and maybe Grand Rapids (since their D/G-League team plays in Grand Rapids).

AFDave

Understood its a shared org structure as previously stated. But newark to albany is not wah to balt in either distance or market size.

To me this is a modification of the butera model- leta call it Butera-Leonis model.

And Albany is a minor market. So get rid of jax and az for albany? Seems odd. But like i said it IS expansion and thats a plus.
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Albany Devils moved to Binghamton if not mistaken. There was an article 2-3 years ago when the Devils changed really their whole organizational model and front office after the President/GM left. The article stated how the Devils struggled with attendance but felt there was a market for fan friendly sports entertainment in Albany and had market research saying that.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying my first pick would be Albany either... but, as stated by others, the Devils also have an existing "relationship" with the Albany arena, which makes it easier. Lost with Leonsis and D.C. is that he does have some ties into Baltimore as well. I don't know what other "close by" market would make sense really for the Devils otherwise.... Boston is likely being held for the Celtics and/or Bruins.... maybe Providence or Hartford could have been pursued, but, they might not have any ties into there like with Albany.

If the Bruins start up a Boston team, they own the AHL team in Providence, so, that would be a good pairing for them to own 2 teams. It is an older arena, but, holds a nice amount for hockey/AFL (around 11.5k).

Although I said I didn't think either MSG team would be interested... if the Rangers were, they have the AHL team in Hartford, so, that would be another pair.

If you got that going, you'd have a very "dense" northeast AFL going, with just a few southern teams eventually to give TB something close to go with.

4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated IP list with NY Dragons TM by NAL

wildthing2022000
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:

Are they trolling or is it for a 2019 team?
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildthing2022000 wrote:
4th&long wrote:

Are they trolling or is it for a 2019 team?

Maybe?

But - 1) I'd say it's either for an NAL team in Long Island?

2) or its leverage to get the AFL to give up the Orlando Predators name in exchange possibly
ArenaFanJersey
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with leverage.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the NAL to successfully leverage for the Predators trademark, they'd need to do more than just the Dragons. If they were to add in the Rampage, Rush, Firebirds (they do have a team called tbe Georgia Firebirds that plays in Albany, Georgia) maybe even the Force to the mix, then the NAL could get the AFL to give up on the Predators trademark.

But in the end, all that matters for Orlando is getting Amway Arena. I'm pretty sure an NAL team called the Central Florida Poopyheads at Amway could outsell the Orlando Predators in the UCF basketball arena.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep looking at this list (IP) and see nothing is 100% confirmed yet.
Well SF and WF to CIF is pretty definite. SF has been announced and confirmed. WF is listed on the CIF website

Some are looking strong - like a 5 team IFL. But really nothing confirmed, ie there may be expansion.

Latest rumor posted on BtWA facebook is NAL schedule out on 10/1 but I'm not even going to add that to the IP
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gladsfan4eva wrote:

"Sources have revealed" I swear that sounds exactly like the magic eight ball. Surprised
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstnten.net wrote:
gladsfan4eva wrote:

"Sources have revealed" I swear that sounds exactly like the magic eight ball. Surprised

Well its not some random guy like me on a MB it was likely a league source since that's what they were covering. Does it mean its happening? Hello no. But its likely a league leak.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: