The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Ridiculous Rumors About Jacksonville, the Tarpons, and More
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Ridiculous Rumors About Jacksonville, the Tarpons, and More
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SharksSC
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Ridiculous Rumors About Jacksonville, the Tarpons, and More Reply with quote

Alright: so according to a friend of mine (who has a lot of connections in the arena world and gets the first word on any rumors sweeping around), Shahid Khan (or at least one of the current owners of the Jacksonville Jaguars), is in bad health. Likewise, according to him, the Jags' ownership is primed to change in a few years. Whether or not it's the guy looking to buy the Jags, the guy currently in charge, or Khan himself is unknown, but apparently somebody is - get this - wanting to put another arena team in Jacksonville, with this one at least loosely tied to the Jags - and likewise the NFL. Buying the Sharks hasn't even been considered, and according to my friend, should an expansion franchise not get put into place (and set up with an arena not named the JVMA), the Florida Tarpons will be the ones to fill that void (apparentrly Estero isn't cutting it for them anymore and they're looking for a new home).

A few other interesting rumors from my conversation with him:

- NAL teams reportedly bought all of their equipment through the Sharks
- A second team, in addition to the now-infamous Doom, will be playing with the AAL in Georgia come 2018
- Bouchy's dreams of a "super league" are apparently more realistic if the AAL buys out the NAL, and not the other way around
- The AAL may use two men in motion, but keep all the other rules that the NAL uses
- The New England Patriots are going to be supporting a northeastern arena team (rumored to be the Central Penn Chargers of the "God-Knows-What Indoor Football League") come 2018

But do take all this with a grain of salt: my friend, while certainly a great guy, isn't really up to speed with everything - he's under the impression that the AFL is folding this year because the league is "paying its players too much" (one of the main causes of its folding all those years ago) and, until I told him, had no idea that the KISS had closed shop and cited their departure as a "huge blow" for the league.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rumors I've heard is that the NAL will in 2018 will be: Jacksonville, Columbus, Georgia, High Country, Lehigh Valley, Monterrey, Jersey, Orlando, Corpus Christi, Boston, and Richmond. Is this incorrect?

RIP New Orleans VooDoo and Colorado Crush
SharksSC
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:
The rumors I've heard is that the NAL will in 2018 will be: Jacksonville, Columbus, Georgia, High Country, Lehigh Valley, Monterrey, Jersey, Orlando, Corpus Christi, Boston, and Richmond. Is this incorrect?

I don't think there's any possible way that the Roughriders make the jump to the NAL, at least not in 2018. Rumor has it they were averaging around 1,200 people a game, which sucks even by NAL standards (sure, the top four teams did great as far as butts in seats were concerned, but those bottom four? Ugh...) - when I went down to Estero on a Monday night to call the Dragons game back in April, there might've been a thousand people there, and that contest was thrown together in just a week or so and not advertised at all. The Tarpons are rooted enough in their community to have about that many super-loyal fans, but the Roughriders still have some work to do in that department. If they can't sell tickets they can't pay league dues, and that'll put them under as fast as Dayton's season went downhill.

The Grizzlies are a total wild card; costs are too high to stay on the NAL and they'll only jump to the AAL if the three other North Carolina teams (Triangle Torch, Winston Wildcats and Cape Fear Heroes) wind up in there too. Odds are pretty good that two of those teams are gonna be in the AAL, and the league's actually trying to talk the Wildcats into coming out of hiatus to join them. Having 4 teams within four hours of Boone (3 NC teams + Upstate Dragons) and at least six teams within 8 hours (Georgia Doom and a confidential expansion team in SC) will make traveling costs plummet, which (in addition to lower league dues) will theoretically save the Grizzlies enough money to keep them from folding.

Now Corpus Christi hanging on is a new one. Did they come under new ownership between now and their final game? I just don't know how you can turn a 0-?? (I think 9?) team with three-digit attendance into a viable moneymaker unless some changes - and big ones - are made in the front office, like they are with the Torch (who are an admittedly good team, but suffer from chronic low attendance due to non-existent advertising). Same goes for the Firebirds, but I don't think anything's bringing that franchise back. Corpus has one saving grace in their problem, and that's that they're in Texas. Albany's not really a football town to my knowledge, and from what I understand a lot of teams (the Dragons included - I've actually been in on the free agency chase this offseason, which has been really fun) are staring to gun for Georgia's skill players, who are excellent athletes that were marred by a complete lack of line play on both sides of the ball.

Boston sounds like a viable option for the NAL, the city certainly seems big enough for them, but the problem comes with the Blaze, who, at least to my knowledge (which is pretty limited - I work with a team in SC, and nobody down here really has any concern about anything north of Richmond; that's the only team folks are actually scared of now that the Tarpons have [surely - he's like forty] lost Chirs Wallace) are firmly rooted in the AAL due to their ties to CAN-AM. But, again, nobody down here really cares about anything north of Richmond. The Blaze may have folded or they may have jumped ship. I honestly don't have a clue. From what I understand the AAL's going to have two divisions that essentially function as two separate leagues in the sense that they'll rarely play each other, and that's just because of travel costs. You've gotta remember: saving money is everything in minor league arenaball. Nobody actually runs these teams for a living - it's all just a hobby that owners, coaches and players engage in outside of work and their family.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharksSC wrote:
Now Corpus Christi hanging on is a new one. Did they come under new ownership between now and their final game? I just don't know how you can turn a 0-?? (I think 9?) team with three-digit attendance into a viable moneymaker unless some changes - and big ones - are made in the front office, like they are with the Torch (who are an admittedly good team, but suffer from chronic low attendance due to non-existent advertising). Same goes for the Firebirds, but I don't think anything's bringing that franchise back. Corpus has one saving grace in their problem, and that's that they're in Texas.

What I heard was that they got/are getting new ownership.

RIP New Orleans VooDoo and Colorado Crush
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SharksSC wrote:
I just don't know how you can turn a 0-?? (I think 9?) team with three-digit attendance into a viable moneymaker unless some changes - and big ones - are made in the front office, like they are with the Torch (who are an admittedly good team, but suffer from chronic low attendance due to non-existent advertising).

In the Torch's case, three-digit attendance figures are probably being borderline generous. And no matter what, no team based in Raleigh is going to draw fans to Dorton Arena. The facility needs at least $10 million (and probably $25 million) in upgrades to be suitable for housing any professional sports franchise, at any level, and there's no willingness to make them.

Having followed that team (sorta) since its inception, I think if it's getting new ownership (as reported here) they'd probably be best served to blow the whole thing up: new league, new brand, forget the Torch ever existed from a historical perspective, etc. And frankly, unless there's a sweetheart deal to be made for the big arena in town? They'd be better off moving as well.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Flight held and open tryout July 16th and Charged 80 bucks per person.

http://jerseyflightfootball.com/tryout-registration-71617/

I have to laugh the play at your own risk waivers.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But do take all this with a grain of salt: my friend, while certainly a great guy, isn't really up to speed with everything - he's under the impression that the AFL is folding this year because the league is "paying its players too much" (one of the main causes of its folding all those years ago) and, until I told him, had no idea that the KISS had closed shop and cited their departure as a "huge blow" for the league.

No offense, but, this guy doesn't seem very "plugged in" if this is his current impression and knowledge of the AFL, unless he just keeps his head in the sand and only knows about these other leagues.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: