The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Baltimore announced
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Baltimore announced
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZubazQB
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Baltimore announced Reply with quote

Apparently Ted Leonsis is going to the the AFL's Phil Anschutz and field multiple teams until new ownership can be found. Baltimore - owned by Monumental - has just been announced for 2017.
Desperado

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now let's get St. Louis, Boston, and New York by 2018. Bring back the Sharks and Predators to help the Storm out.
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado wrote:
Now let's get St. Louis, Boston, and New York by 2018. Bring back the Sharks and Predators to help the Storm out.

And add Chicago and possibly Detroit in 2019. Stabilize the league and slowly expand to the west.

Last edited by AFLNerd36 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Sacramento, Oakland (as when the Raiders move to Vegas that would be a good place to put a team), and San Antonio would all be great. I second St. Louis as they are currently trying to get a CFL team.

RIP New Orleans VooDoo and Colorado Crush
intensefootball

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland and Sacramento both will have new buildings either now or shortly. That sector is the easy choice for expansion. It will be a while though, I think.

If the AFL really believes the West could one day be back on the table, they should play hardball with the Rattlers on the name if they can.

-----

Really, this league is focusing on where its money is - East. The NHL only has 8 teams west of the Mississippi in the United States. 58% of the countries population is East of the Mississippi. If they can't be a "national league" right away, at least they are on the right side of the populous.

St. Louis, New York (Nassau re-opening in 2017), Detroit (new arena opening in 2017), are the best most glamorous options I believe for the AFL.

Workings with Orlando, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Nashville - some cities burned repeatedly or burned badly by the AFL in the past could be back on the table under the right circumstances.

If I were the AFL, I would be looking at the three markets mentioned above as the best places to be to grow.

Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Tampa Bay
Philadelphia, D.C., Baltimore, New York

Not bad if that's what 2018 looks like. I'm in Texas and would like nothing more to see a Texas team get in the mix, but right now it makes the most sense to expand slowly back out and build from the ground up with more sense than the AFL started out with in 1987.

Also too, DePaul is building a new arena that would seat 10,000 for hockey in Chicago, opening in 2017. Could be an entry way there depending upon if the partners are right and if the league is interested.
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
And add Chicago and possibly Detroit in 2019. Stabilize the league and slowly expand to the west.

Yup. The AFL is a few years from coming back west, but it seems they might be going in regional chunks.

If/when they come back west I'd bet there will be 3, maybe 4, teams announced for an expansion year.
sjsabercatfan
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland may be dead. With the Warriors moving to San Francisco and the possible move of the Raiders leave to Vegas, that leaves only the A's at the Oakland Coliseum. There is good potential that the A's may be leaving as well. That would mean nothing left for the Oakland Coliseum but Motocross and Monster Trucks. For the Oakland Arena just Concerts and the Circus. Future for this site may be apartments or condos...

I don't know if Sacramento would be good. They seem to have had a hard time with outdoor football. The Kings have a new Arena. They paid 78 to 80 million of a 550 million dollar Arena. The City of Sacramento paid 250 million dollars of the price tag. A third group also paid into the Arena but I don't know how much. If the relationship between the Kings and Sacramento is like Santa Clara and the 49ers, then it could be a few years before the King consider buying an AFL team. There has been some dispute about rent at Levi's Stadium for the 49ers.

I think the SF Bay Area is tapped out for expansion. If the AFL wants to come back to California it may be in LA, San Diego, Fresno of Bakerfield.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:
AFLNerd36 wrote:

Yup. The AFL is a few years from coming back west, but it seems they might be going in regional chunks.

If/when they come back west I'd bet there will be 3, maybe 4, teams announced for an expansion year.

Totally agree with this.... I can see the expansion happening in a very 'regionalized' fashion, over 1-2 year periods. There might be owners who are anxious to "get in", but, if you are on a "geographical island", the AFL is going to tell you "You need to get some more 'friends' on board before we bring you in".

Totally just as an example, no basis on any of these cities in any theory or order or anything, but, just based on what we've been hearing, and the above theory:

2017 - 5 teams that we currently know about
2018 - St. Louis, Detroit, Nassau (building will reopen in March 2017)
2019 - 2 Mexican Teams, San Antonio
2020 - Sacramento, Arizona, Denver

After that, more teams can be added one at a time, as now you'd have some "regions" forming (all but getting back into the Southeast more, which isn't reflected here).

As Adam has said, somewhere in there we will likely lose Baltimore, and you can't count out others deciding to not keep in the game at this level of sport, but, you are hoping for owners who are in it for the "long play" this time around, and not a 3-4 year "tax shelter" window.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
ArenaKen
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And with 5 teams, that means 4 make playoffs. What I like about this is Ted Leonis (sp?) is making league ownership into a Billionaires club. And he will promote the hell out of it to his fellow NBA and NHL owners, and its obvious he has a vision/plan set in motion.I have no problem with someone owning multiple teams. If Mark Cuban came out and said he wanted 3 AFL teams, one in Dallas, San Antonio and Pittsbugh. Would anyone be against it, U would be crazy if u were. Can U imagine if Illitch brought the Drive back. The only thing negative is there have been many NBA and NHL owners in the past that have had AFL teams and they flopped, Madison Squarre Garden for example.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaKen wrote:
If Mark Cuban came out and said he wanted 3 AFL teams, one in Dallas, San Antonio and Pittsbugh. Would anyone be against it, U would be crazy if u were.

I certainly wouldn't be against it... I would just be highly surprised considering the past statements I've heard from Mark Cuban about his opinion of "Arena/Indoor Football" as a sport (not positive), and considering he is part of the group of individuals backing the new Indoor "Futsal" League.

My guess would be Spurs for San Antonio, and the Stars as the team owning a team in Dallas if that happened. Have no idea about how viable Pittsburgh is in coming back.

ArenaKen
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using Cuban as an example of a billionaire
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaKen wrote:
I was using Cuban as an example of a billionaire

Granted.... just stating he is a very unlikely example at this point Smile

ArenaKen
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need Casey Wasserman back in the AFL
RockvilleRaven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore has has a history of minor league indoor teams, mostly with poor attendance, this year the Lighting were supposed to play in CanAm Football league.

Baltimore has one thing going for it, in the Arena Football League viewership, Baltimore was number in ratings in a non AFL team market.

The Royal Farms arena is 54 years old and in need of a replacement, but nobody in the city seems to care while the only other sports tenant is the indoor Soccer Baltimore Blast.
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to the April 7 Baltimore Brigade-Washington Valor game at the Verizon Center. Should be a good game.
RockvilleRaven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem with multiple team ownership in that Baltimore had only 4 months to get together a team, unlike the other team Ted has the Valor which had 14 months. You couldn't buy Brigade gear until less than a week before the first game, although the Verizon Center team store was selling last Friday. And it seemed to show on last weeks games, although the Brigade should go with Shane Cardin as QB against Cleveland who led that comeback that ended short.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Expansion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: