The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Is Salt Lake City viable?
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Is Salt Lake City viable?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Is Salt Lake City viable? Reply with quote

I know the Utah Blaze was there and folded but is a return out of the question? If so why?
shock_fanatic_06
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it. SLC is getting an IFL team called the Screaming Eagles next season.

But hey, the Chicago Rush were active around the same time as the Chicago Slaughter so who knows. I'm gonna say no, though.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well run AFL team, especially owned by a pro team in the market, should be able to drive out of town, or at least not be bothered by, a "lower paying league" team near by.

So, from that perspective, the IFL team in SLC doesn't really "matter".

That being said, unless the Jazz want a team, don't look for a SLC AFL team.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:

That being said, unless the Jazz want a team, don't look for a SLC AFL team.

Ok then.
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the last iteration of the Utah Blaze was a former AIFA team that decided to "go pro" and had iffy ownership, I wouldn't hold my breath for the time being on the afl returning there any time soon.
DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SLC team is a reality. It is a new approach. Whether it will work again is another story.

However, Project FANchise is already working toward a second incarnation. Obviously, the location has yet to be determined, but it could be interesting to see where it is located.
crixus
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="DiamondThief"]The SLC team is a reality. It is a new approach. Whether it will work again is another story.

It's a reality all right, but in another league. The IFL is growing while the AFL keeps losing teams. Your Steel are probably the next team to fold.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crixus wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:
The SLC team is a reality. It is a new approach. Whether it will work again is another story.

It's a reality all right, but in another league. The IFL is growing while the AFL keeps losing teams. Your Steel are probably the next team to fold.

Can somebody explain why that is? I mean they have taken AFL teams and are adding teams. The AFL is going to sit at 8 teams. Is there league office less restrict on ownership than Butera is?
crixus
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:

Can somebody explain why that is? I mean they have taken AFL teams and are adding teams. The AFL is going to sit at 8 teams. Is there league office less restrict on ownership than Butera is?

All I know is the Fry's who owned the SaberCats did not get along with Butera. They got fed up with him and pulled the plug even though San Jose was in the top half of attendance leaders in the league and had a record 20 win season in 2015. The league played it off like everything was cool between the Fry's and Butera, but the press in San Jose told a different story.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crixus wrote:
spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:

All I know is the Fry's who owned the SaberCats did not get along with Butera. They got fed up with him and pulled the plug even though San Jose was in the top half of attendance leaders in the league and had a record 20 win season in 2015. The league played it off like everything was cool between the Fry's and Butera, but the press in San Jose told a different story.

Why didn't the Sabercats join the IFL?
crixus
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:

There is a Facebook page movement to get a San Jose team (but it won't be the SaberCats unless Fry sells the rights to the name) to join the IFL. But at the moment it doesn't look promising. I think the Fry's got fed up with the whole thing and went back to concentrating on their electronics stores. I personally think the Fry's were a bigger part of the problem than the league was. I took their side at first, but the more I read about them on this board it seems to me now that they were always complaining about something. They were one of the few teams that actually had success during their 20 year tenure. But it became an ego battle with Butera, so the Fry's took their ball and went home. Out of respect to the fans of San Jose I wish they would have tried to sell the team, but I checked the Mercury News and never read about any real efforts to do so. Oh well, I adopted the Storm and they won 2 whole games this season. But I picked them and will stick with them from now on. I don't claim to be a genius, but I am loyal to my teams. Cool

You're a really good poster spiderfan_MJ and I look forward to sharing with you and everyone else on this board next season. *The Storm are toast, so I'm moving on to the college football and NFL message boards. Take care!

Last edited by crixus on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crixus wrote:
spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
spiderfan_MJ wrote:
crixus wrote:
DiamondThief wrote:

There is a Facebook page movement to get a San Jose team (but it won't be the SaberCats unless Fry sells the rights to the name) to join the IFL. But at the moment it doesn't look promising. I think the Fry's got fed up with the whole thing and went back to concentrating on their electronics stores. I personally think the Fry's were a bigger part of the problem than the league was. I took their side at first, but the more I read about them on this board it seems to me now that they were always complaining about something. They were one of the few teams that actually had success during their 20 year tenure. But it became an ego battle with Butera, so the Fry's took their ball and went home. Out of respect to the fans of San Jose I wish they would have tried to sell the team, but I checked the Mercury News and never read about any real efforts to do so. Oh well, I adopted the Storm and they won 2 whole games this season. But I picked them and will stick with them from now on. I don't claim to be a genius, but I am loyal to my teams. Cool

You're a really good poster spiderfan_MJ and I look forward to sharing with you and everyone else on this board next season. *The Storm are toast, so I'm moving on to the college football and NFL message boards. Take care!

Interesting info. Thanks for the shoutout. During the NFL offseason this is my hobby/pastime/sport that I watch on TV* so I like the sport a lot. I'll probably have a Valor icon next season as most likely that will be the team I root for after not having a team for a season. Smile

*when it's on TV and not ESPN3
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also have to say no
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Expansion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: