The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Could markets like Chicago, NYC, Nashville, etc be viable?
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Could markets like Chicago, NYC, Nashville, etc be viable?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Could markets like Chicago, NYC, Nashville, etc be viable? Reply with quote

Under the idea of Butera's ownership plan, could it be possible years down the road that teams mentioned in the title? Plus other viable markets with owners that have a stadium or owns a team(minor or major league)?
Jesse Reed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 am    Post subject: San Antonio, Sacramento, and Albany Reply with quote

There were rumors of San Antonio and Sacramento returning I want Albany to return even if it couldn't happen due to the city being too small (even though they were in the top 5 of attendance year in year out). NYC seems great (that unused 2009 NY Dragons logo) but other than the overbooked Garden, where else could a team play without going to Brooklyn (I doubt the Nets owner would be interested in an arena team)? Chicago (the same applies to, New Orleans and Vegas) won't happen due the fiasco 2 years ago with the Rush's ending.
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I realize that the Rush's ending was a pretty sour ending. However could that possibly be mended with the positive outlook if places like Cleveland, DC, etc keep working out? Like maybe Chicago or another failed market, might be willing to give it another go if the right person was approached.
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville has had two AFL franchises, Chicago has had two, and I think Washington has had two (the Valor would be #3).

It would depend on whether a specific area would be willing to support the team
Bring Back The Rush

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: If they are expanding Reply with quote

If they are expanding westward then I would think some ideal locations for expansion would be:
St. Louis
Chicago
Louisville
Detroit
Indianapolis

They could have an East Division and a Mid West Divison
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see new AFL teams in:
Chicago
Indianapolis
Boston
Minneapolis
Memphis
Orlando (to renew the War on I-4 with the Storm)
Dallas
Anaheim (bring back the Piranhas)
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much you need to look at what local NBA and/or NHL ownerships would be interested in having a team.

Obviously, there have been heavy rumors about Detroit & St. Louis.

Minneapolis not only has 2 separate ownerships between the NBA & NHL, but, two separate arenas they would play in, so, that gives some flexibility there.

IMO, Chicago I'm not sure how well a team would do in the U.C.... and there are no ties with the Bulls or Hawks to the Allstate Arena, and while maybe the Bulls would take on a team to run with their D-League team at the Sears Centre, playing in an 8-9k arena for the Chicago team would be kind of a "letdown". But, really, neither team has seemed interested in running an AFL team.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
Bring Back The Rush

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:

IMO, Chicago I'm not sure how well a team would do in the U.C.... and there are no ties with the Bulls or Hawks to the Allstate Arena, and while maybe the Bulls would take on a team to run with their D-League team at the Sears Centre, playing in an 8-9k arena for the Chicago team would be kind of a "letdown". But, really, neither team has seemed interested in running an AFL team.

Jerry Reinsdorf owns the Chicago Bulls and the Chicago White Sox. I am sure he could put an arena team at the Sears Centre, The UIC Pavilion or heck maybe the Untied Center.
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Arena Football League were to bring a team to Chicago, maybe the UIC Pavilion would be a good place. You can never be too sure.
ArenaKen
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the All State arena is PERFECT for the AFL game, just need the right owner
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArenaKen wrote:
the All State arena is PERFECT for the AFL game, just need the right owner

The owner of the AHL Chicago Wolves who play at Allstate is actually a pretty wealthy guy... he was trying to buy an NHL team in the Northwest (Seattle or Portland), but, obviously he is not very interested in an AFL team, otherwise he might stepped up in 2012-13, and/or would hear a bit more buzz about interest now.

Maybe if the AFL gets back up to 8-10 teams with a lot of high profile arena owners, and the Bulls/Hawks are still not biting, maybe he'd get more interested again.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Expansion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: