The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Board approves instant replay for 2008 playoffs
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Board approves instant replay for 2008 playoffs
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AvengersFan
MVP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Board approves instant replay for 2008 playoffs Reply with quote

AFL Admin just posted this on the AFLMB

http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=1470510
#76 won't be forgotten

L.A.KissFan@gmail.com
LA_Avengers_Fan@yahoo.com
bounga
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About time.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Avenger_Fan
Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally think that the timing is such a BAD idea...

Who changes rules in the middle of the game?

Granted, instant replay IS a good idea. It's one of the rules that I actually agree with in its current NFL implementation.

However, the timing is awful.

The rule should have been changed at the BEGINNING of the season, not in the penultimate portion of the season.

Implement the rule, just do it at the RIGHT time!

Avenger_Fan
AvengersFan
MVP

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's not a rule change that changes the game. It's a change to make sure the calls are made right. I applaud the change and only wished they had started earlier and hope they continue with this during the regular season games beginning next year.
#76 won't be forgotten

L.A.KissFan@gmail.com
LA_Avengers_Fan@yahoo.com
Jacques
Starter

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: replay Reply with quote

The reason they can do it during the playoffs is because espn covers all the games. during the regular season the televison viewing is total garbage as 1/3 of the games are not televised and the ones that are some have limited camera coverage.

I think this says a lot about espn and there commitment. When it all counts they are right there but leave the regular season hanging in the air with there once a week coverage. With all the ESPN stations you think they could put a few more games on weekly? Like one or two per weekday they are played at least? The product this season put on by them has been poor at best. the anouncers don't know the rules, miss prounounce players names, call the teams the wrong team names, I have even seen popups that showed wrong information. There always screwing around with Mr. Microphone and have not learned or possibly care about the production they put out?

As much as I love the league and the games the local FSN, Comcast, Time Warner broadcasts are usually much bettor then ESPN's attempt.
It really stinks that Cox Sports Net, KSMO, KJZZ, Catch 47 just to mention a few off the top of my head are just regional covered games and can't bee seen unless your in there limited area. The league needs a contract for season games instead of leaving the teams to fend for themselves for coverage. Come on 22 years we need bettor television out of them. Where is our big brother the NFL?

Then my last complaint is people in Utah and Kansas City I can't find anyone who tapes the games to even get a copy of to watch the games
later. I figure no one gets reception of KSMO (Kansas City), or KJZZ (Salt Lake City). I am not alone on all these complaints either. Smile
AFLGuru
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know what's going to happen. The refs are going to blow a call. They're going to waste 90 seconds of our life. They're going to come back and say, "Upon further review, there is no indisputable video evidence to overturn the call on the field" and we'll all still be bitching and moaning over everything.
chrisncory
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't say in the article, but i assume the team loses a time out if the call is not successful as per the NFL.
Also can you call in the last minute of the game thus giving you a 90 second time out instead of 30 seconds or will all plays in the last minute be reviewed automatically from the box???
sidelines
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLGuru wrote:
We all know what's going to happen. The refs are going to blow a call. They're going to waste 90 seconds of our life. They're going to come back and say, "Upon further review, there is no indisputable video evidence to overturn the call on the field" and we'll all still be bitching and moaning over everything.
+1

now if we can get ESPN to change the game of week to a day of the week that teams
will have fans attend, put the games on ESPN (where they belong), and also make the
game of the week, the games of the week (plural), then we'd be getting somewhere
with the ESPN contract...

Caballo Diablo wrote:
Looks like sidelines knows what he's talking about.
AFLGuru
Ironman

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dream on JP. ESPN doesn't give one rat's tush about the AFL. Not one. There's a reason that they use the AFL to experiment with all of their announcers and all of their other little gimmicks. They STILL haven't completely learned the game yet, and for the "World Wide Leader in Sports" really does little to promote the fact that they are the only game in town for nationally televising AFL games.

We're lucky we get a game of the week... Forget about games plural or games being played any other time but Monday night. And forget about having a season where we don't see Philadelphia at least 16 times in the regular season on ESPN. And if it's only 15 games, it'll be the Chicago Wranglers playing the Arizona Wranglers.
cyn
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coaches are going to need more than 2 red flags per game!
Predz Crew105
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY!!! Thank you AFL for finally getting instant replay in some format. Granted I don't know if I totally agree with the timing of it (they should have done this before the season started), but I'll take it for the playoffs.

I still can't believe some of you out there are still against it, come on this isn't going to slow the game down that much, what the average AFL game last what 2 1/2 hrs? Thats still relatively short compared to to NFL/NCAA games.

I would much rather the game take an extra 30 min to play and the refs get 1 or 2 calls right compared to a shorter game with even more bad calls.
Jacques
Starter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you all know, not that anyone really cares but I also am for it. I just hate the fact that it more then likely will never be in effect durning the regular season when it should also be in effect because of the horrific television/camera coverage. When they get to the point like the other major leagues where they are covered by a determined amount of camera's the regular season where games could be determined by a red flag will not be. Heck get a pay per view like the NFL,MLB,NBA,NHL, soccer... where they do have camera coverage then we will be talking.

They will always be tinkering around with the rules. Why don't they tinker around and get television coverage for ALL games!!!!! Confused
DSPNYD
Starter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I'd rather have instant replay in the playoffs rather than no instant replay at all. Just be lucky that they were able to approve it.
cyn
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it and feel it was something tha tshould have happened at the beginning of the season too. I'm just wondering what the outcry will be when the refs review the call and STILL get it wrong! I'm convinced 85% of the refs don't even know the rules!
DSPNYD
Starter

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyn wrote:
I'm just wondering what the outcry will be when the refs review the call and STILL get it wrong! I'm convinced 85% of the refs don't even know the rules!

Agreed. Some of the calls have not only been non-analogous to the rules, but non-analogous to some laws of physics.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been stated, the reason why the AFL can do IR in the playoffs but not in the regular season is that ESPN has their multiple cameras at every playoff game, and the regular season has anywhere from ESPN coverage down to no TV coverage, and if you have barely any cameras in some arenas (maybe only one for the jumbotron), then you can't really do instant replay.

Over the course of a season, you'll usually get calls going both ways for you, and over 16 games, it (hopefully) shouldn't affect your season in an overall view too much. But, the playoffs are 1 game and done, so, it is good they want to at least try to get every call right as possible.
CM916
All Pro

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for it but they should have waited until next year.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CM916 wrote:
I'm all for it but they should have waited until next year.

Why? Deciding to use instant replay in the playoffs has no bearing on anything a team does during the regular season (unlike the af2 decision in 2001 to increase the playoff teams midseason(http://www.arenafan.com/news/?page=origcol&writer=5&article=82).

Yes, there are rules decisions that if made in the middle of a season that affects how teams would have done things previously if they'd known that would happen. This isn't one of them.
phillysoul04
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, and you are unlikely to ever see instant replay during the regular season.
gladsfan4eva
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps ESPN has agreed to air more regular season games next year and/or another broadcast partner will sign on and we'll have the majority of regular season games televised. I'm sure the league is planning on using instant replay all season long, not just in the playoffs.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: