The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - walker grand rapids auburn hills
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
walker grand rapids auburn hills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bear124
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: walker grand rapids auburn hills Reply with quote

walker grand rapids auburn hill these are suburban of Detroit walker consider af3 grand rapids af2 auburn hill af2
LJWeirich
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea Walker was a suburb of Detroit, but thanks for telling
dknhipt
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't the Palace of Auburn Hills, one of the largest venues currently in the NBA, far too large for an af2-level team? Is there an alternate venue in Auburn Hills about a third or a fourth of its size where the "crowd" it would be likely to draw wouldn't looks so lost (and also would be really likely to want to host the team, which the Palace likely would only do if there were some sort of NBA tie-in)?
LJWeirich
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about the Palace of Auburn Hills, it was good sized for NBA basketball and it was once home to the Detroit Fury of the Arena Football League.;

The Palace of Auburn Hills would be too large for arena 2 level football
dknhipt
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LJWeirich wrote:

The Palace of Auburn Hills would be too large for arena 2 level football

My thought exactly & that seemed to be just what Bear was talking about.
Bear124
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 am    Post subject: auburn hill Reply with quote

auburn hill city population base count as af2
dknhipt
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: auburn hill Reply with quote

Bear124 wrote:
auburn hill city population base count as af2

Right, if you are just counting Auburn Hills itself. Here's the thing -- if you name the team the Auburn Hills Wheels, say, you are saying that it's meant to be a minor-league team (not that there's anything wrong with that) and it's sort of self-limiting -- you will still likely get a few people from Pontiac, Ypsilanti, Detroit proper, but not a lot because they will perceive it, properly, as minor league. But our point is that the crowd a minor league sports franchise will draw is ill-suited to the Palace, which is meant to house Detroit Metro-wide major events and is hence scaled to that. Unless there is another, lesser venue in Auburn Hills that I don't know about, which there well may be, I would say that a second-tier indoor football team (since there is no long actual af2, at least not now) is pretty much a pre-ordained failure, which serves no one well.

Someone who has lived in, as opposed to visited, the Detroit metropolitan area, is what you really need here for help, so I'll be quiet now.
SabrCatFan
MVP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: walker grand rapids auburn hills Reply with quote

Bear124 wrote:
grand rapids suburb of Detroit
Really???? This is true IF Sacramento is a suburb of San Jose... I can tell you for a fact they aren't...

Considering GR is over 150 miles from Detroit and at least a 2.5 hour drive... I also know this is a fact considering I've been to both venues (GR and the Palace) for arenaball games...

Sooooo.... Noooo...... Sacramento is NOT a suburb of San Jose and GR is NOT a suburb of Detroit... Rolling Eyes

Bonus Hint: Walker is near GR...
Double Bonus Hint: the Palace was closed in 10/2017, word is, it's still in great shape but tooooooooooo far from Detroit for anyone to care which IS the reason the Pistons move back to Detroit (Little Caesars Arena)....
dknhipt
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SabrCatFan, I remembered that GR was a nice trip from Detroit, and the San Jose/Sacramento analogy seems to be a good one. Wasn't the Palace about the biggest NBA venue when it was open, though? (Not as big as the Pontiac Silverdome which preceded it, for sure). It's just too much for a minor league. I hate to think of it just rotting down like the Silverdome did. Can we find a family of feral cats for it, like the Astrodome has?
SabrCatFan
MVP

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dknhipt, Wasn't the Palace about the biggest NBA venue when it was open, though? Good question, don't know the answer but it's smaller than the Staples Center in LA and the venue in Irvine...

The Pontiac Silverdome was built for the Lions and the Palace for the Pistons meaning the Palace is about a 1/4 the size, the best examples would be the two side-by-side venues in Oakland, CA (side note with a bit of irony both MI venues are in Oakland county)... The Silverdome was imploded 2 months after the The Palace closed, like it's sister venue in MN it was garbage with a fabric roof... I was there once, total trash... I've been to Ford Field and it's light years better than the Silverdump... As far as feral cats none would've gone near the dump, after the Lions moved they turned off the blower fans to hold the roof up and it didn't take long for it rip, the floor had 2 feet of water in it for years from what I heard, if one likes blood sucking insects that was the place to go...

If I were to put an arenaball team in Detroit I'd play in The Joe (Joe Lewis Arena, yes I've been there too) it was rehabed after the Red Wings moved to their new venue... The reason Oakland county has continued to keep the Palace in shape is because they spend millions on a rehab in 2015 trying to keep the Pistons there but they moved back to Detroit because fans weren't interested in going there... The last time I heard the venue was used was in 10/2017 for a concert, although I don't know that for a fact cuz the last time I was in the area was in 2016 for a Lions/Redskins game...
dknhipt
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the above update. You've been to the Detroit area far more recently than I have. And you comment about Oakland County, Michigan, yeah, I'd thought about how Oakland is right outside of San Francisco and Oakland County is right outside Detroit. Of course, now that the Warriors and Raiders have both announced that they are leaving Oakland, California, can the A's be far behind?
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> History View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: