The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - 21XX AFL Preseason (TargetToad's video game simulation)
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
21XX AFL Preseason (TargetToad's video game simulation)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: 21XX AFL Preseason (TargetToad's video game simulation) Reply with quote

Vote for the 14th (and final) team for my 2nd video game season (I'll try to do both this and the highlights).

The 3 choices:
A. Spokane Shock (expansion, West division team #4, generic "average" team roster)
OR
B. J'ville Sharks (returning team, South Division team #3, basically same roster that went 11-3 last season)
OR
C. New York Dragons (relocation of J'ville, East Division team #4, will have 2006 Dragons roster with 2 additions)
AFLNerd36
All Pro

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: 21XX AFL Preseason (TargetToad's video game simulation) Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
Vote for the 14th (and final) team for my 2nd video game season (I'll try to do both this and the highlights).

The 3 choices:
A. Spokane Shock (expansion, West division team #4, generic "average" team roster)
OR
B. J'ville Sharks (returning team, South Division team #3, basically same roster that went 11-3 last season)
OR
C. New York Dragons (relocation of J'ville, East Division team #4, will have 2006 Dragons roster with 2 additions)

A.
Ben the qb

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: 21XX AFL Preseason (TargetToad's video game simulation) Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:

The 3 choices:
OR
OR
b
SackThe_Back
All Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re Reply with quote

C please

Atlantic City AFL team name ideas:
Atlantic City Aces; AC Rampage; AC Talons; AC SurfSharks;
AC Nets; NJ Express; NJ Metros; AC/NJ Marauders
Ecclesiastes 2:18
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The due date for any new votes will be the 5th, after the XFL announces their 8 franchises
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only fair way I have to decide the 14th team will be a dice roll.

Spokane: 1 or 4
J'ville: 2 or 5
New York: 3 or 6

YouTube link soon
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:

YouTube link soon
that youtube link: https://youtu.be/J1sZZHNLJ4U
AFLNerd36
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
TargetToad wrote:

YouTube link soon
that youtube link: https://youtu.be/J1sZZHNLJ4U

So, it's the Dragons... fascinating.
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to reveal the 8 returning teams.

1. The Defending Champion Grand Rapids Rampage
2. Last years runner's up, the Arizona Rattlers
3. The regular season champion San Jose Sabercats
4. The regular season runner up Tampa Bay Storm
5. The only high seed to lose in the Wild-Card Round: the Albany Firebirds
6. The weakest division champion, the New England Sea Wolves
7. The Team from Jim Fosters home state, the Iowa Barnstormers
8. AND My personal least favorite team, the Orlando(Lt) Predators
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here's my attempt at a "Story" for my Arena simulation

21XX AFL Offseason; Part 1 wrote:
As soon as the Grand Rapids Rampage hoisted the Jim Foster trophy to end the 20XX Arena Football League Season, preparations for the 21XX season were already underway. Within hours of Grand Rapids victory, the Houston Thunderbears shuttered their doors and a new team from Texas opened theirs, The Dallas Desperados Not only did the Desperados replace the Thunderbears, but the also raided the 2 best players from the Las Vegas Gladiators, QB Clint Dolezel and OS Marcus Nash. They even introduced their uniforms to the public using 20XX sack leader Red Dogs OG/LE #94, showing how much better Dallas would be focused on winning than Houston ever was.
Relatively soon after Houston folded, so too did the Detroit Drive, unable to compete for Wolverine State eyeballs with the champion Rampage, and the Florida Bobcats, unable to secure a sponsorship deal with the Hooters restaurant chain, which brought the total number of teams down to 16.
Two more teams, the New Orleans Voodoo and the Utah Blaze also left the league over a month after Detroit and Florida shuttered. The Voodoo suspended operations, while Utah became a charter member in the American Indoor Football Association (AIFA), a 6-team league on the west coast (Oakland, Utah, Boise, Portland, Sacramento, Cheyenne), dropping the team count to 14. In response to losing 4 teams in such a short period of time, the Arena League added a team up by the 38th parallel, the Milwaukee Mustangs . Incredibly, Milwaukee sold over 12,000 season tickets within the first 24 hours of their first press conference to raise the count up to 15.
However, it was another franchise closure, this time coming from the City of Brotherly Love, that caused the Arena League to act fast and create another two big city franchises to attempt to woo/placate TV execs and get the team count back to 16, the Chicago Rush
and the Los Angeles Avengers were added.

Both teams went right to work acquiring talent, as the Avengers got QB Tony Graziani from the folded Soul & TE/RE Silas Demary from the rebranded J'ville Sharks of Duval and the Rush robbed the Sharks of OS Steve Smith (not that one) and FB/LB Bob McMillan. The Rush also unintentionally tricked San Jose Sabercats WR/DB Rashied Davis into thinking he was trying out for the NFL Chicago Bears. But Rashied accepted the Rush's contract offer (3yrs, $250k total), making him the highest-paid player in the Arena League history.
With the total team count back to 16, the Arena League released a 15-week, 14-game schedule that immediately caused the Colorado Crush to fold due to a ridiculous stretch that called for Colorado to travel nearly 10,000 miles in only the first five weeks (Denver-Tampa-Los Angeles-Albany-Denver).

Colorado's surprise folding also triggered one of the strangest series of events involving a pro sports team in recent memory:
The remaining Las Vegas Gladiators staff and New Jersey Red Dogs roster merged,
they got kicked out of the Newark for unpaid arena rent,
joined the AIFA despite being thousands of miles away from everyone else,
Rebranded twice within 1 hour,
tried to move to Florida to get the same Hooters sponsorship that caused the Bobcats to fold,
declared chapter 11 bankruptcy,
traded their best remaining player (WR/DB #87) to the Tampa Bay Storm for the right to play in Alabama,
were sold to new owners in Cleveland, only for said new owners to get arrested by SEC for investor fraud,
had their remaining assets sold to Atlantic County, New Jersey for $2 (a drugged-out hobo bid $1 thinking the team was an actual bottle of Red Dog beer Laughing),
and were reborn as the New Jersey Gladiators (using the same logo as the 20XX Las Vegas Gladiators) rejoining Arena Football League as an excuse fill seven Tuesday/Wednesday nights at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

But that mess wasn't even the most controversial thing about the 21XX Arena Football offseason...
Thoughts? Do y'all prefer this, or the way I announced teams last year?
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second part of the off-season post
AFL 21XX Offseason: Part 2 wrote:
... The most controversal thing to happen in the 21XX Off-season was the choice for the 14th and final team to enter the league. The AFL only had enough capital to successfully market for one more team, lest there be two cases of under attended messes like with Houston and Florida from last season. The three qualified candidates also represented three different qualities that all sports leagues need to thrive: Television, Fans, and Rivalries. The TV reaches new possible fans, the fans are what keep the league going, and the rivalries are what keep the fans coming back year in and year out.

The first choice; retaining the J'ville Sharks of Duval despite their bombastic owner and closeness to Tampa Bay and Orlando, represented the "Rivalry" piece of the Sports League Triforce, as their closeness to the Storm and Predators allowed for a great 3-way dynamic to form between the three Floridian teams, with all 3 posting 10+ win seasons and highly attended games.

But if local attendance was all that mattered, then Spokane, Washington would have gotten the 14th team, as, like Milwaukee, they too would have been prepared to sell well over 10,000 season tickets, let alone how loud the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena would get based on the 120 decibels were there for the public pep rally. However, the second choice for the Arena League, despite representing the "Fans" piece of the Sports League Triforce, had 1 major setback: Market Size. The Arena League already had small market squads in Albany (57th) and Des Monies (71st). 75th ranked Spokane would do no favors to woo the TV producers.

So, in an effort to placate the suits on Madison Avenue, the Arena League chose the "Television" piece of the Sports League Triforce and awarded the #1 TV market in the USA, New York City (Long Island to be more specific), the 14th and final team for the 21XX season; relocating the J'ville Sharks of Duval to become the:
New York Dragons

The very public selection process sent fans in North Florida and Eastern Washington into a fury. With the Sharks Bombastic Owner threatening to sue the AFL and fans in Eastern Washington organizing a boycott of the Arena Football League, having the Spokane Shock join the AIFA alongside the Utah Blaze, Boise Blast, Oregon Stampede, Sacramento Attack, and the Cheyenne Sting and the El Golfo de Oakland Señors.

With all 14 teams finalized (minus 1 more rebrand by the Gladiators), the four divisions were formed:

Central Division:
Chicago Rush: Allstate Arena; Rosemont, IL (expansion)
Grand Rapids Rampage: Van Andel Arena; Grand Rapids, MI (13-4, Arena Bowl Victory)
Iowa Barnstormers: Veterans Memorial Auditorium; Des Monies, IA (7-8, wild-card loss)
Milwaukee Mustangs: The Bradley Center; Milwaukee, WI (expansion)

Eastern Division:
Albany Firebirds: Pepsi Arena; Albany, NY (9-6, wild-card loss)
Atlantic City Gladiators: Boardwalk Hall; Atlantic City, NJ (merger of 9-7 New Jersey Red Dogs & 5-9 Las Vegas Gladiators)
New England Sea Wolves; Hartford Civic Center; Hartford, CT (10-6, semi-final loss)
New York Dragons: Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum; Uniondale, NY (relocation of 12-4 Jacksonville Sharks)

Southern Division:
Dallas Desperados: American Airlines Center; Dallas, TX (expansion)
Orlando Predators: TD Waterhouse Centre; Orlando, FL (11-5, divisional round loss)
Tampa Bay Storm: St. Pete Times Forum; Tampa, FL (12-4, semi-final loss)

Western Division:
Arizona Rattlers: America West Arena; Phoenix, AZ (10-8, Arena Bowl loss)
Los Angeles Avengers: Staples Center; Los Angeles, CA (expansion)
San Jose Sabercats: HP Pavilion; San Jose, CA (11-4, divisional round loss)

With the final team announcement also came the 7 preseason pairings for a home-home "rivalry" series was announced
1. Chicago Rush & Milwaukee Mustangs
2. Dallas Desperados & Los Angeles Avengers
3. Atlantic City Gladiators & New York Dragons
4. Orlando Predators & Tampa Bay Storm
5. Grand Rapids Rampage & Iowa Barnstormers
6. Arizona Rattlers & San Jose Sabercats
7. Albany Firebirds & New England Sea Wolves

But, before the preseason could be played, the rosters had to be updated for 21XX...
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third and final post for the offseason:
AFL 21XX Offseason: Part 3 wrote:
The final major part of the offseason were the roster moves. The first major move happened soon after the Chicago Rush's signing of Rashied Davis.

In a reaction to the large contract Davis received, Grand Rapids QB Michael Bishop, the 20XX AFL (regular season) MVP wrote this for social media.
Quote:
Lol, 83k per year for a MEDIOCRE player. Hey Grand Rapids, give me $150k a day:lol: Laughing Laughing
Simply put, the Grand Rapids staff and players did not take the joke well, including his own leading target, Arena Bowl MVP OS Aaron Bailey who responded
Quote:
Michael, shut up
. After a long social media "fight." Bishop demanded for Grand Rapids to either

A. Trade Aaron Bailey and give me $100k to stay
B. Trade me.

In a surprising move, Grand Rapids stood by their OS, not their QB, sending Bishop to where else, Chicago to play with "mediocre" Rashied Davis in exchange for QB Raymond Philyaw, the player Chicago signed to be their QB for only $35k (the 2nd lowest among starting QBs). And in Chicago, Bishop got his $100k, getting a 2yr, $200k deal. Using the extra money from not signing Bishop, Grand Rapids got the 20XX CFL leading tackler, WR/LB Darryl Hammond, for 1 yr, $45k (a $3k raise from 20XX) and Utah WR/DB Orshawonte Bryant for 2 yrs, $100k (a 10k raise per year from 20XX).

But the big move was when WR/DB (was WR/LB last season) Barry Wagner went to the San Jose Sabercats to replace Rashied Davis for only 1 yr, 45k, a $5k decrease from his 20XX salary in Orlando. That sent Orlando into roster transition overdrive, starting with pillaging WR/DB T.T Toliver (1yr, 42k, same as 20XX) & FB/LB Dan Alexander (2yrs, 54k, 1k higher per year than 20xx) from the Tampa Bay Storm, WR/LB Cory Fleming (1yr, 36k, same as 20XX) from the now relocated J’ville Sharks from Duval, and OG/LE E.J. Burt (2yrs, $62k, $2k raise per year from 20XX) from the folded Philly Soul.

The “theft” from the Storm led to Tampa Bay re-signing their Arena Bowl winning QB from the 18XX, John Kaleo (2yrs, 95k, 3k raise per year from 20XX), who had been playing in Canada with the Toronto Argonauts. The signing of Kaleo allowed the Storm to cut their “underperforming” quarterback, Shane Stafford. Within days of getting cut, Orlando signed Stafford for 1yr, 50k, higher than what Tampa Bay paid him. To counter what Orlando’s new QB in Stafford (Joe Hamilton when to the Spokane Shock of the AIFA for $30k), the Storm signed Red Dogs WR/DB #87 (2 yrs, 88k, same per year as 20XX) who got 3 interceptions from Stafford in the playoff game. Another signing Tampa Bay made was getting another key player from the 18XX Arena Bowl run, previously retired TR/RE B.J. Cohen for 1yr, $33k, sending Ernest Certain ($25k) to Grand Rapids.

Another active player in the off-season player market were the Arizona Ratters. The Ratters, in order to keep with their division rivals San Jose and Los Angeles, signed Utah OS Sto the New Orleans Voodoo’s famed “Maginot Line” of Voodoo DS #15 (97 overall rating) and Voodoo DS #25 (97 overall) for 3yrs, 165k each (more than double their salary from 20XX New Orleans) despite significantly better offers for each player from the National Football League’s Atlanta Falcons, stating “We start for Ratts, we sit for the Bats.” Zona also signed OS Siaha Burley from the Utah Blaze.

Not to be outpaced by the movers of the AFL, the New York Dragons added OS Damien Harrell (2yrs, $120k, 5k raise per year) from the folded Colorado Crush and FB/LB Chad Dukes (1yr $40k, 7k raise, highest paid FB/LB in league) to aid QB Aaron Garcia (on same deal as 20XX, year 3 of 3yr, $225k deal). Lastly, in an interesting move, Albany, and New England didn’t make a single roster move in preparation for 21XX, while Milwaukee chose to build from the ground up and Iowa chose to replace Barnstormers QB #13, who left the team on to the start for the NFL’s Rams, with his back-up, Barnstormers QB #14.

By way, please let me know if the story is getting too crazy Embarassed
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished the pre-season. Here are the Results All game 1's had 5 minute quarters, all game 2's had 4 minute quarters

Dallas and Los Angeles -
Game 1: (@ DAL) DAL: 72; LA: 38
Game 2: (@ LA) LA: 44; DAL: 41 (OT)

Chicago and Milwaukee -
Game 1: (@ CHI) CHI: 75; MIL: 44
Game 2: (@ MIL) MIL: 42; CHI: 38

Albany and New England -
Game 1: (@ ALB) NE: 76; ALB: 62
Game 2: (@ NE) ALB: 51; NE: 44

Atlantic City and New York -
Game 1: (@ NY) NY: 75; AC: 33
Game 2: (@ AC) NY: 70; AC: 38

Grand Rapids and Iowa -
Game 1: (@ IOW) GR: 65; IOW: 42
Game 2: (@ GR) IOW: 51; GR: 38 (OT)

Arizona and San Jose -
Game 1: (@ ARI) ARI: 74; SJ: 59
Game 2: (@ SJ) SJ: 56; ARI: 24

Orlando and Tampa Bay -
Game 1: (@ ORL) ORL: 79; TB: 77
Game 2: (@ TB) TB: 63; ORL: 56

To remind everyone of how I simulate these games: I play as the offense, switching sides depending on who has the ball, except for
1. I switch over to and play as the home team after the 1-minute warning of each half, regardless of which has the ball.
2. In overtime, I go from all-time offense, to all-time defense, switching to which ever team DOESN'T have the ball.
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
Just finished the pre-season. Here are the Results All game 1's had 5 minute quarters, all game 2's had 4 minute quarters

Dallas and Los Angeles -
Game 1: (@ DAL) DAL: 72; LA: 38
Game 2: (@ LA) LA: 44; DAL: 41 (OT)

Chicago and Milwaukee -
Game 1: (@ CHI) CHI: 75; MIL: 44
Game 2: (@ MIL) MIL: 42; CHI: 38

Albany and New England -
Game 1: (@ ALB) NE: 76; ALB: 62
Game 2: (@ NE) ALB: 51; NE: 44

Atlantic City and New York -
Game 1: (@ NY) NY: 75; AC: 33
Game 2: (@ AC) NY: 70; AC: 38

Grand Rapids and Iowa -
Game 1: (@ IOW) GR: 65; IOW: 42
Game 2: (@ GR) IOW: 51; GR: 38 (OT)

Arizona and San Jose -
Game 1: (@ ARI) ARI: 74; SJ: 59
Game 2: (@ SJ) SJ: 56; ARI: 24

Orlando and Tampa Bay -
Game 1: (@ ORL) ORL: 79; TB: 77
Game 2: (@ TB) TB: 63; ORL: 56

To remind everyone of how I simulate these games: I play as the offense, switching sides depending on who has the ball, except for
1. I switch over to and play as the home team after the 1-minute warning of each half, regardless of which has the ball.
2. In overtime, I go from all-time offense, to all-time defense, switching to which ever team DOESN'T have the ball.

Also, I made some last-minute, post-pre-season moves

1. Gave the Los Angeles Avengers OS Chirs Jackson (92 overall, played for Philly in 20XX)
2. "released" Phil Glover (San Jose FB/LB, 86 overall), Gave San Jose OG/LE Angel Rubio (87 overall, on Austin Wranglers roster, wasn't in 20XX simulation), and K Clay Rush (91 overall, from 20XX Colorado).
3. Gave Tampa Bay OG/LE Henry Jordan from Orlando (83 overall, slight improvement over 20XX Tampa OG/LE Nyle Wiren who was 80 overall) and Kicker Mark Lewis (slightly buffed from 81 overall to 85 overall, on BOTH Las Vegas Gladiators and Jacksonville Sharks in 20XX)
4. Gave Arizona Kicker Bill Gramatica (77 overall)

THAT Bill Gramatica: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK81Ej5hm8s
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing for the preseason thread before I move on the regular season thread: The team ratings (from the game)

Albany Firebirds
Offense: 86
Defense: 88
Overall: 87

Arizona Rattlers
Offense: 89
Defense: 87
Overall: 88

Atlantic City (New Jersey) Gladiators
Offense: 79
Defense: 84
Overall: 81

Chicago Rush
Offense: 88
Defense: 86

Dallas Desperados
Defense: 85

Grand Rapids Rampage
Offense: 87
Overall: 86

Iowa Barnstormers
Offense: 81
Overall: 82

Los Angeles Avengers
Offense: 90
Defense: 90
Overall: 92

Milwaukee Mustangs
Offense: 80
Defense: 82
Overall: 80

New England Sea Wolves
Offense: 82

New York Dragons
Overall: 89

Orlando Predators

San Jose SaberCats
Overall: 90

Tampa Bay Storm
SackThe_Back
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
One last thing for the preseason thread before I move on the regular season thread: The team ratings (from the game)

Albany Firebirds
Offense: 86
Overall: 87

Arizona Rattlers
Defense: 87

Atlantic City (New Jersey) Gladiators
Offense: 79
Overall: 81

Chicago Rush

Dallas Desperados

Grand Rapids Rampage
Offense: 87
Overall: 86

Iowa Barnstormers
Offense: 81

Los Angeles Avengers
Defense: 90
Overall: 92

Milwaukee Mustangs
Offense: 80
Defense: 82
Overall: 80

New England Sea Wolves
Offense: 82

New York Dragons

Orlando Predators

San Jose SaberCats
Overall: 90

Tampa Bay Storm

Pretty balanced.

Atlantic City AFL team name ideas:
Atlantic City Aces; AC Rampage; AC Talons; AC SurfSharks;
AC Nets; NJ Express; NJ Metros; AC/NJ Marauders
Ecclesiastes 2:18
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Video Games View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: