The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - stock market
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
stock market
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bear124
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: stock market Reply with quote

on year 1999 arena football league put it on the NYSE is it still on the board
dknhipt
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put what on the board? Shares of the AFL itself? Well, if they ever were listed (which I don't remember and sort of doubt) they certainly didn't survive bankruptcy. There are GM shares listed now on the NYSE, but they are new, post-bankruptcy shares. The old, pre-bankruptcy shares of GM are totally worthless, other than if on the off chance you have an actual old GM stock certificate, it would have some small value as a collector's item, much as Confedrate war bonds did 100 years ago (THOSE are now actually quite valuable). The same would be the case with AFL shares, if someone actually could produce certificates for such, which I seriously doubt.
mactheknife
Ironman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call bullstuff.
Show your work on this one.

Because had I an opportunity to invest in the original AFL? Up until around 2002 I'dve taken everything I could beg, borrow or steal to get into it.

Of course, I'dve lost it all, but I'd have done it.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The predators were traded for awhile, but, that is the extent of that for the afl.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article about it https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2003/04/28/daily32.html

dknhipt
All Pro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
The predators were traded for awhile, but, that is the extent of that for the afl.

Where? On OTC "pink sheets"? Don't try to tell me that the Orlando Predators were ever listed on an actual exchange, or NASDAQ for that matter, although they would sort of be the type thing that used to be on the Penny Stock Heaven Exchange, aka Vancouver (one of the worst things about a wonderful city).
mactheknife
Ironman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dknhipt wrote:
afdave wrote:

Where? On OTC "pink sheets"? Don't try to tell me that the Orlando Predators were ever listed on an actual exchange, or NASDAQ for that matter, although they would sort of be the type thing that used to be on the Penny Stock Heaven Exchange, aka Vancouver (one of the worst things about a wonderful city).

Orlando Predators Entertainment was publicly traded. I know this because I held shares in it for a (relatively brief; one year) time. I don't recall it being on a particular exchange however. The team "went private" when they were bought by the next owner, at which point my shares were redeemed. I don't remember how much I got back, but I do remember it being less than I'd paid for them. I expected no less, but, well, it was the AFL.
dknhipt
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One team being traded briefly over-the-counter is hardly the same as the AFL itself being traded on an actual exchange, which is what was claimed. I say that this never happened.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not claiming accuracy, but, that article I linked to did say NASDAQ:

Quote:
Effective May 1, Orlando Predators Entertainment Inc. (Nasdaq: Pred)

dknhipt
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe that I missed that! Which year was it from?
mactheknife
Ironman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
I'm not claiming accuracy, but, that article I linked to did say NASDAQ:

Quote:
Effective May 1, Orlando Predators Entertainment Inc. (Nasdaq: Pred)

I can confirm it was NASDAQ now that I think about it. But it was the Predators that went public, not the league. You can do an EDGAR search on Orlando Predators Entertainment and see what transpired.
mactheknife
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nathano91 wrote:
I am pleased to read these details. I have been making use of online forums and tutorials for learning how to save money and invest in good options. It is difficult to work on personal financial planning as a newbie. I wonder if you have some good suggestions for me!

I have some advice, but take it for what it's worth.

If you're starting from scratch, consider opening an online account with a Betterment or some similar online investment service. I opened one up with them when they first started and plunked $1,000 down in it just to see what'd happen. A month later I withdrew the $1,000 and the account's been operating on "the interest" ever since. But no matter what the market was doing, I seemed to make at least some money with it.

MUNICIPAL BONDS
Muni's are stable investments with bankable returns. The only potential problem is if you bankroll a Detroit and the city declared bankruptcy.

RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE
Become a landlord. For all real estate deals there's a system I follow in order to protect myself from liability to the greatest extent possible (see below). While you'll take on debt and insurance obligations, with the right deals and solid tenants you'll cover your monthly costs fairly easily. You need to always keep cash in reserve, however, to cover months where a tenant defaults or you have unexpected repairs to the property. Over time, that property will build equity, which you can leverage toward the next level.

Now the system I was discussing: with every piece of residential real estate you own, set up two entities. The first is a non-profit or "S" corporation. The second is a limited partnership, in which the corporation is the general partner that owns 5% and you, as limited partner, hold the other 95%. You can do this separately with each piece of real estate you buy or, once you reach a certain comfort level with your financial state (i.e., knowing that a single piece of property can't bring down your whole venture), set up separate limited partnerships for each of the properties, again under the same set-up.

With this, the corporation(s) you've set up will get 5% of the net but incur all the legal liability should the excrement hit the rotary oscillator. You meanwhile get 95% of the profit passed through directly to you as the limited partner, but have none of the legal liabilities... and you control the corporation that's the general partner as well, but again without the liability.

From there, you 'graduate...'

TREASURY BILLS AND NOTES
As with muni's, T-Bills and T-Notes are stable, steady investments with guaranteed returns. They aren't huge returns, but if you don't generate that return it's because the entire U.S. Government has collapsed, and you'll have bigger concerns - like figuring out where to get food and water.

VERY SELECT STOCKS
Don't go nuts with stocks - they should be at most 15% of your overall holdings. But pick solid performers that offer fixed quarterly/annual dividends or have a solid record of appreciating in value (i.e., low stock price volatility). I won't suggest individual stocks because at the moment I'm completely out of it, and will be until the Trump Administration ends. But when crazy people aren't in charge? The stock market's relatively safe.

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Gradually mix real estate with commercial, but gradually transition away from the residential to commercial, selling off the residential. Commercial real estate is always preferential, as (i) for the most part your tenants are more stable, (ii) they're more willing to commit to long term leases (there are very few year-to-year deals in commercial real estate), (iii) in most cases you can obligate small business operators to personally guarantee the rent payments, meaning that if the business entity doesn't pay - you can go after them as individuals for the money, and most importantly, (iv) in most cases you aren't obligated to address every little repair that comes along.

And one last thing that sounds counter-intuitive but isn't: in the early going, keep as liquid (cash, or easily convertible to cash) as possible. The more you go though, the need to be liquid diminishes greatly, as your ability to obtain and leverage credit to facilitate growth expands. It's fairly easy once you reach a certain point to control $20 with $1, provided you have proven you will be able to come up with other $19 on a lender's schedule.
TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
Nathano91 wrote:
I am pleased to read these details. I have been making use of online forums and tutorials for learning how to save money and invest in good options. It is difficult to work on [url=https://www.goodmoneyXXX.com/[/url] as a newbie. I wonder if you have some good suggestions for me!

I have some advice, but take it for what it's worth.

If you're starting from scratch, consider opening an online account with a Betterment or some similar online investment service. I opened one up with them when they first started and plunked $1,000 down in it just to see what'd happen. A month later I withdrew the $1,000 and the account's been operating on "the interest" ever since. But no matter what the market was doing, I seemed to make at least some money with it.

MUNICIPAL BONDS
Muni's are stable investments with bankable returns. The only potential problem is if you bankroll a Detroit and the city declared bankruptcy.

RESIDENTIAL REAL ESTATE
Become a landlord. For all real estate deals there's a system I follow in order to protect myself from liability to the greatest extent possible (see below). While you'll take on debt and insurance obligations, with the right deals and solid tenants you'll cover your monthly costs fairly easily. You need to always keep cash in reserve, however, to cover months where a tenant defaults or you have unexpected repairs to the property. Over time, that property will build equity, which you can leverage toward the next level.

Now the system I was discussing: with every piece of residential real estate you own, set up two entities. The first is a non-profit or "S" corporation. The second is a limited partnership, in which the corporation is the general partner that owns 5% and you, as limited partner, hold the other 95%. You can do this separately with each piece of real estate you buy or, once you reach a certain comfort level with your financial state (i.e., knowing that a single piece of property can't bring down your whole venture), set up separate limited partnerships for each of the properties, again under the same set-up.

With this, the corporation(s) you've set up will get 5% of the net but incur all the legal liability should the excrement hit the rotary oscillator. You meanwhile get 95% of the profit passed through directly to you as the limited partner, but have none of the legal liabilities... and you control the corporation that's the general partner as well, but again without the liability.

From there, you 'graduate...'

TREASURY BILLS AND NOTES
As with muni's, T-Bills and T-Notes are stable, steady investments with guaranteed returns. They aren't huge returns, but if you don't generate that return it's because the entire U.S. Government has collapsed, and you'll have bigger concerns - like figuring out where to get food and water.

VERY SELECT STOCKS
Don't go nuts with stocks - they should be at most 15% of your overall holdings. But pick solid performers that offer fixed quarterly/annual dividends or have a solid record of appreciating in value (i.e., low stock price volatility). I won't suggest individual stocks because at the moment I'm completely out of it, and will be until the Trump Administration ends. But when crazy people aren't in charge? The stock market's relatively safe.

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE
Gradually mix real estate with commercial, but gradually transition away from the residential to commercial, selling off the residential. Commercial real estate is always preferential, as (i) for the most part your tenants are more stable, (ii) they're more willing to commit to long term leases (there are very few year-to-year deals in commercial real estate), (iii) in most cases you can obligate small business operators to personally guarantee the rent payments, meaning that if the business entity doesn't pay - you can go after them as individuals for the money, and most importantly, (iv) in most cases you aren't obligated to address every little repair that comes along.

And one last thing that sounds counter-intuitive but isn't: in the early going, keep as liquid (cash, or easily convertible to cash) as possible. The more you go though, the need to be liquid diminishes greatly, as your ability to obtain and leverage credit to facilitate growth expands. It's fairly easy once you reach a certain point to control $20 with $1, provided you have proven you will be able to come up with other $19 on a lender's schedule.
Thanks Mac. I'll have to keep that in mind once I finally get settled in my career
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was awful nice of you Mac to reply back to the account that clearly just registered recently to post their website to this board because of the stock discussion. (ie, spammer)

TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
Was awful nice of you Mac to reply back to the account that clearly just registered recently to post their website to this board because of the stock discussion. (ie, spammer)
you never know, they could become as full and active of a member as you, me, Mac, 4th, Sack, and Dnkhpit.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are acting like a naive 20-year-old there TT... go back up and read that post... it is very vague and seemed tailored just to have an excuse to put that URL out there. Our message boards have been targeted before for things like that (use our traffic and SEO rep to get their URL on our website)... I am likely to pull it down.

TargetToad
Ironman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
You are acting like a naive 20-year-old there TT... go back up and read that post... it is very vague and seemed tailored just to have an excuse to put that URL out there. Our message boards have been targeted before for things like that (use our traffic and SEO rep to get their URL on our website)... I am likely to pull it down.
Yeahhhh, you're right (also, I'm 21 now Razz)
dknhipt
All Pro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:

Not really sorry that you pulled it down, Dave, but Mac's advice sounds like a pro column. He's done well enough in real estate that I cannot fault him; even so The Donald doesn't scare me enough but what I still have lots of stock relative to my overall net worth, but admittedly haven't been buying more lately, even on this latest "dip".
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> History View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: