The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Lol g-league
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Lol g-league
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TargetToad
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Lol g-league Reply with quote

Michigan has a dg3(>? League team: The Grand Rapids Drive
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, yeah, and so?

I guess that is "funny" because it is the old Detroit AFL team name, but, it is the Pistons G-League team, so, "Drive" is a name that makes sense from that aspect.

Most G-League teams either directly use their parent teams name (Raptors, Bulls, etc), or use a "related" term of their parent teams name (Pistons -> Drive, Bucks -> Herd, etc). The only ones that don't are where they had an existing name before the parent team bought the team, and it had local significance (ie, Fort Wayne Mad Ants are the Pacers farm team, but, the "Mad Ants" is in reference to General "Mad" Anthony Wayne, which is where Fort Wayne got the Fort and hence city name). Especially in the Indy/FW case... while the "Pacers"/Indy 500 theme makes sense in Indianapolis, I don't know that it transfers out of the metro area... I mean, yes, all of Indiana takes some "pride" from it, but, the "Mad Ants" better represents the FW area than some "take-off" on racing to keep with the "Pacers". They did in the last year or two though change the color scheme from Red to the Pacers Blue colors.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
DiamondThief
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that outlandish. The G-League is the NBA Developmental League and has been around for several years. The majority of NBA teams have their own G-League affiliate; 26 I believe. My hometown Portland Trail Blazers are one of the four which does not. They used to own and operate the Idaho Stampede based out of Boise, but that ended a few seasons ago.

The Drive sounds like a decent name for an affiliate of the Pistons. Makes sense to me.
SackThe_Back
All Pro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess that means no Arena team will get that mascot anytime soon.

Romans 6:23
Atlantic City AFL team name ideas:
Atlantic City Aces; AC Rampage; AC Talons; AC SurfSharks;
AC Nets; NJ Express; NJ Metros; AC/NJ Marauders
ssnapier
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All NBA teams will have a G-League team in 2-3 years.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssnapier wrote:

They pretty much all already do, the only ones that don't:
Wizards - Getting their new "Capital City Go-Go" team in 2018-19.
Pelicans - They are actively looking for smaller cities in LA to have a team play in.
Nuggets & Trailblazers - No "active" rumors... Omaha had people who wanted to own a team in 2015, but, no more recent rumors on that, although if true that would be a likely home for a Denver Nuggets G-League squad.

The NBA wants to put a G-League team in Mexico City... that could be then for the Trailblazers, although that would be very against. Also the "Erie Bayhawks" are losing their association with Atlanta after they prop up a more local team, so, one of Denver or Portland could pick them up.

What I wonder is if there might be some movement with the "sub G-League" "pro-leagues" to try to form up a "AA" level partnership with the G-League. I don't even know how "necessary" that is though... I mean, obviously baseball has a very deep minor league, but, not many baseball players that are angling to go Pro go to college (in 2012, only 5% of MLB players had 4 year degrees)... obviously the NCAA is a much larger "minor league" to the NBA than that. Hockey has an "AA" level (ECHL), so, maybe there is a "model" there, although again, not as many hockey players go to college either (more than baseball, but, last numbers I saw were 25-30%). The only other thing is that other than the trash that is the "ABA2000" league, there isn't that much going on at the sub G-League level in basketball leagues either.

There is talk of the NBA allowing NBA teams to draft players out of high school again, but, they may require them to play 1 year at the G-League level then... which would be good for the players development wise, and obviously also the G-League teams that get some quality players (can you imagine the Canton team having had LeBron for a year before he went to the Cavs?).

TargetToad
Hall of Famer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
ssnapier wrote:

They pretty much all already do, the only ones that don't:
Wizards - Getting their new "Capital City Go-Go" team in 2018-19.
Pelicans - They are actively looking for smaller cities in LA to have a team play in.
Nuggets & Trailblazers - No "active" rumors... Omaha had people who wanted to own a team in 2015, but, no more recent rumors on that, although if true that would be a likely home for a Denver Nuggets G-League squad.

The NBA wants to put a G-League team in Mexico City... that could be then for the Trailblazers, although that would be very against. Also the "Erie Bayhawks" are losing their association with Atlanta after they prop up a more local team, so, one of Denver or Portland could pick them up.

What I wonder is if there might be some movement with the "sub G-League" "pro-leagues" to try to form up a "AA" level partnership with the G-League. I don't even know how "necessary" that is though... I mean, obviously baseball has a very deep minor league, but, not many baseball players that are angling to go Pro go to college (in 2012, only 5% of MLB players had 4 year degrees)... obviously the NCAA is a much larger "minor league" to the NBA than that. Hockey has an "AA" level (ECHL), so, maybe there is a "model" there, although again, not as many hockey players go to college either (more than baseball, but, last numbers I saw were 25-30%). The only other thing is that other than the trash that is the "ABA2000" league, there isn't that much going on at the sub G-League level in basketball leagues either.

There is talk of the NBA allowing NBA teams to draft players out of high school again, but, they may require them to play 1 year at the G-League level then... which would be good for the players development wise, and obviously also the G-League teams that get some quality players (can you imagine the Canton team having had LeBron for a year before he went to the Cavs?).
The Jacksonvile Giants are low AA, but they are the only team even remotely close to that level from the ABA2K.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All Jacksonville Giants home games played in the Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena are televised on CW17 in high-definition"

That is quite impressive for a very low-level basketball team, in a really crappy league.

I think there is likely a place for a team like this to break out of the ABA and try to get solid ownership around a "AA" league, if only regionally, and then work with other regional bus "AA" leagues, and create a network that could approach the NBA to work with them and be a conduit to the G-League.

Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Off Topic Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: