The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - SF STORM letter and interview on return to IFL
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
SF STORM letter and interview on return to IFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: SF STORM letter and interview on return to IFL Reply with quote

Smart move, smart move. Back to 8 and that's great for the IFL.

I just didn't see a good reason to go with 4 local teams staying in the IFL and when WMichigan and Bloomington jumped it was a no brainer. Just read the letter from Todd Tryon

http://siouxfallsstorm.com/

The CIF is a lower league (not that its bad but its single A to IFL AAA/AA) and they found that out. Looks like all is forgiven and its time to move forward in a solid IFL. Great job league for getting this back together.

Interview With Owner on local radio:
http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/todd-tryon-on-why-storm-left-cif-to-go-back-to-ifl/

Boy did the CIF pull a fast one on SF and WF based on this interview. It just doesn't have the league structure or professionalism the IFL has.
SF did not sign any commitment. WF apparently did. Based on the interview details - I'm sure they aren't happy. Though WF is close to many CIF teams at least.

I think the IFL is primed for a solid season now.

* IFL makes it Official with statement:

http://www.goifl.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20171004vxz3gv

>The Indoor Football League (IFL) is proud to announce the return of the Sioux Falls Storm for the 2018 season.<

Congrats to IFL!
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with this decision... and it's also possible that Wichita Falls may jump back to the IFL next season, if more CIF teams (maybe Quad Cities, possibly Albuquerque) jump to the IFL....
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: SF STORM letter and interview on return to IFL Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
Smart move, smart move. Back to 8 and that's great for the IFL.

I just didn't see a good reason to go with 4 local teams staying in the IFL and when WMichigan and Bloomington jumped it was a no brainer. Just read the letter from Todd Tryon

http://siouxfallsstorm.com/

The CIF is a lower league (not that its bad but its single A to IFL AAA/AA) and they found that out. Looks like all is forgiven and its time to move forward in a solid IFL. Great job league for getting this back together.

Interview With Owner on local radio:
http://kwsn.com/podcasts/sports-talk-with-kwsn/5093/todd-tryon-on-why-storm-left-cif-to-go-back-to-ifl/

Boy did the CIF pull a fast one on SF and WF based on this interview. It just doesn't have the league structure or professionalism the IFL has.
SF did not sign any commitment. WF apparently did. Based on the interview details - I'm sure they aren't happy. Though WF is close to many CIF teams at least.

I think the IFL is primed for a solid season now.

* IFL makes it Official with statement:

http://www.goifl.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/20171004vxz3gv

>The Indoor Football League (IFL) is proud to announce the return of the Sioux Falls Storm for the 2018 season.<

Congrats to IFL!

Are the owners of the 2013 Rush running the CIF? They barfed on a golden platter.
mojodcat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CIF has no league office, and no league structure outside of "interim commissioner" Bertz, whom nobody seems to trust, and who is also a team owner (?!)

If you merge the two stories nothing conflicts with each other. SF and WF want to leave to the CIF... agree to terms (which later changed, i'll get back to that) WF may have signed their LAA with the IFL (SF had not) so the IFL threatened to sue.

CIF owners now getting cold feet, or buyers remorse, feeling jilted, whatever, and facing a lawsuit say, yeah eff this noise if You want to come in YOU'RE paying for the lawsuit (hence the credit line increase) and you can't be competitive (the player experience changes)

the pieces fit together rather well. It's unfortunate. I certainly hope that the sides can figure something out for 2019, the fans, their consumers, want it (well except the folks in Sioux City but I can't explain or understand them)
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's a good decision, but they shouldn't have been bamboozled in the first place to leave.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:
Yeah it's a good decision, but they shouldn't have been bamboozled in the first place to leave.

Agreed

However if i can see thatbthe CIF is no where near as poliahed as the IFL from using the internet and readibg and observing the leagues. How come these owners didnt see it?
Its a rhetorical question but valid one.

There was no way Az or Iowa were going to risk the money they make on a lower end product with a bandaid business model - imo. And the results proved out
exit322
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th&long wrote:
billscarnage wrote:

Agreed

However if i can see thatbthe CIF is no where near as poliahed as the IFL from using the internet and readibg and observing the leagues. How come these owners didnt see it?

There was no way Az or Iowa were going to risk the money they make on a lower end product with a bandaid business model - imo. And the results proved out

They saw it, but once they got in it, they saw it was worse than they figured. A small drop in the league professionalism, so to speak, isn't going to hurt the team a bit off the field. The level of drop that the CIF made it clear that was there...would.
Firstnten.net
Ironman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exit322 wrote:
4th&long wrote:
billscarnage wrote:

Agreed

They saw it, but once they got in it, they saw it was worse than they figured. A small drop in the league professionalism, so to speak, isn't going to hurt the team a bit off the field. The level of drop that the CIF made it clear that was there...would.

It's this type of stuff that puts all of these leagues in the "bush league" category.

So much for the ridiculous notion that the Storm left because they got beat in the championship game.
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

That is interesting..... seeing that Iowa and Arizona are seemingly "OK" in the IFL, goes to show that while, if the AFL is a "10", the IFL might be an "8".... the CIF must be around a 3 or 2.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In listening to the interview of the owner, the final straw was the CIF's requiring a $150,000 letter of credit from each member, which the owner said was a jump from the $10,000 he'd been told. That honestly surprised me, as even $150,000 seems ridiculously low.
exit322
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
Quote:

That is interesting..... seeing that Iowa and Arizona are seemingly "OK" in the IFL, goes to show that while, if the AFL is a "10", the IFL might be an "8".... the CIF must be around a 3 or 2.

You've hit the nail on the head. A 10 to even a 7 isn't a big enough hit to hurt. But the 7 to a 2 is. Especially when they're making the Storm get rid of everyone that has more than two years experience - and that's only for eight guys (the remainder would've had to have fully been rookies who have never played 50-yard football in a "pro" league). It was just too big a hit.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
Quote:

I've been saying all along:

1) AFL -AAAA (can't call them major but certainly not AAA)

2) IFL - AAA/AA - I see i more of a drop AFDave they are not at the level on the field and off as the AFL - if I gave a number its a 6)

3) NAL - AAA/AA - But that can flip to AA/AAA or who knows depending on the next few weeks

4) CIF - Single A (2/3)
mactheknife
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The intrigue returns, as siouxfallsstorm.com is apparently down.
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exit322 wrote:
4th&long wrote:
billscarnage wrote:

Agreed

My point is - a desk jockey like me can see the level of professionalism and play level was more than a drop below. How come these guys didn't see that.
Again - rhetorical question but a valid one.
IMO SF wanted to be top dog and AZ makes that unlikely AND they likely had rose colored glasses on. WF is a different story. They have a much lower Revenue ceiling and costs are a factor for them and CIF may be a better fit.

Last edited by 4th&long on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mactheknife wrote:
The intrigue returns, as siouxfallsstorm.com is apparently down.

working fine for me and it includes the IFL announcement on return.
Furrey4
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojodcat wrote:
no league structure outside of "interim commissioner" Bertz

Sounds like Jerry Kurz in a bad disguise.
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: SF's Tyron addresses legal aspect of switching leagues-link Reply with quote

http://kwsn.com/news/articles/2017/oct/06/tryon-addresses-legal-aspect-of-switching-leagues/

Sounds like CIF was thinking they were smart pulling SF and WF from IFL, but when IFL grabbed Bloomington and WestMich from them they threatened the IFL with legal action... then IFL countered and CIF decided to push the costs onto WF and SF, and when SF bailed on CIF - they decided in the end to punt. So all they did was lose two teams. A CIF CF.
SF sign-on was contingent on final costs, so they had an escape clause. WF wasn't as lucky. WF owner got blind sided, he said at his CIF news conference that there were only 5 IFL teams yet Bloom and WM jumped same day. Now he's in limbo as CIF said they won't include them in 2018 season.

> In his words, the story began with the CIF threatening legal action against the IFL for taking in two of its former clubs, the Bloomington Edge and West Michigan Ironmen. The IFL then turned around and said if you want to sue us for that, than we will go after you (the CIF) for taking Sioux Falls and Wichita Falls.

"That was the threat, and then the CIF absolutely caved and said we don't want anything to do with this," said Tryon. He went on to explain that once the threat of legal action surfaced, the CIF demanded an extended line of credit from the Storm from $10,000 to $150,000 as a means of protecting themselves from potential legal expenses. <
nick p
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the CIF is moving forward with lawsuits against the Bloomington Edge, West Michigan Ironmen, the IFL, and Arizona Rattlers.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick p wrote:
the CIF is moving forward with lawsuits against the Bloomington Edge, West Michigan Ironmen, the IFL, and Arizona Rattlers.

RIP CIF
4th&long
Starter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TargetToad wrote:
nick p wrote:

RIP CIF

CIF can't compete with the deep pockets of AZ Iowa, and the IFL has a stronger front office. A lawsuit is a paper tiger, they are costly. And what is the real benefit to the CIF. Plus the CIF said they are scheduling the season with 11 teams.
This is why IFL benefits greatly from having these teams, and AZ Iowa and Az Iowa benefit by having far lower operating costs then being in the AFL. That's win win. But they need a league to play in - by offering up 100k each to WM and Bloomington to play in IFL

IFL should drop the WF threat in exchange for CIF dropping lawsuit. Call it a day and move on.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: