The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - Arena Fantasy Expansion Game, DRAFT IS ON!
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
Arena Fantasy Expansion Game, DRAFT IS ON!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerseys last pick is:
Rogers Place Edmonton, Alberta

So, with that, I've reordered the spreadsheet by player:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dUqangBeiXEshLc6EMC7PCW2tvuUAqY13OFQkPzyPJU/edit#gid=0

We also have an "unpicked" team at the end, with the facilities I had left on my list, which also came to 10.

Thanks for picking everyone, and we shall see what will happen with announcements. Once that happens, we'll update things here. I will likely soon move this thread to the "expansion" forum.

Arenafan on Twitter | Arenafan on Facebook
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that almost all of the picks in this draft are likely expansion targets for the AFL between now and 2027... I can't really take pick #56 seriously, though... sorry TargetToad, but I can't....
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
I think that almost all of the picks in this draft are likely expansion targets for the AFL between now and 2027... I can't really take pick #56 seriously, though... sorry TargetToad, but I can't....

It was a joke pick. I saw a voodoo game on ESPN3 with empty looking stands (I don't remember if it was in the superdome or the smoothie king center) and it was both sad and hilarious. Crying or Very sad Laughing
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some fun facts about each set of arenas/primary markets each player picked [average TV market rank, based on the 2010 US census and 2016 Canadian census (only the 4 Canadian markets picked were included), how many seasons of Arena Football each player's 10 arenas hosted as a total (including AF2), and the average year that each arena opened for each player (rounded to the nearest year)

AFDave: TV market rank: 23.1 (2nd), seasons of Arena Football: 26 (30 including AF2; 5th), average arena opening: 1992 (6th)
AFLNerd36: TV market rank: 35.5 (4th), seasons of Arena Football: 63 (no AF2; 1st), average arena opening: 1998 (1st)
AFLFanJersey: TV market rank: 40.4 (6th), seasons of Arena Football: 11 (22 including AF2; 6th), average arena opening: 1996 (2nd)
FirebirdDW: TV market rank: 39.4 (5th), seasons of Arena Football: 36 (42 including AF2; 2nd), average arena opening: 1993 (4th)
stormjr: TV market rank: 28.3 (3rd), seasons of Arena Football: 31 (39 including AF2, 3rd), average arena opening: 1995 (3rd)
TargetToad (me): TV market rank: 20.4 (1st), seasons of Arena Football: 33 (no AF2; 4th), average arena opening: 1992 (5th)

Last edited by TargetToad on Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside of TV Market rank (4th), I'm first? That's new... I was actually picking arenas with the idea of cities that would be receptive to AFL football... and most of my criteria were based on how much local NFL/NCAA football teams sucked. I also went off of rivalry possibilities; the Rattlers (all other teams), Columbus (Cleveland), Nashville and Louisville (each other), Houston (any other Texas team), Grand Rapids (Detroit), SLC (Rattlers, Colorado), and LA (all other CA teams, Vegas, Rattlers). I think any rivalry is good for the sport, especially road rivalries- you get a weekend away, watch your team play against another team, have a good time, chat with players, and then return to your home town. You have no long lines in airports, you can set your own schedule, and you can do some sightseeing before and/or after the game.
TargetToad
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFLNerd36 wrote:
Outside of TV Market rank (4th), I'm first? That's new... I was actually picking arenas with the idea of cities that would be receptive to AFL football... and most of my criteria were based on how much local NFL/NCAA football teams sucked. I also went off of rivalry possibilities; the Rattlers (all other teams), Columbus (Cleveland), Nashville and Louisville (each other), Houston (any other Texas team), Grand Rapids (Detroit), SLC (Rattlers, Colorado), and LA (all other CA teams, Vegas, Rattlers). I think any rivalry is good for the sport, especially road rivalries- you get a weekend away, watch your team play against another team, have a good time, chat with players, and then return to your home town. You have no long lines in airports, you can set your own schedule, and you can do some sightseeing before and/or after the game.

Early storm/any rattlers games could actually come close to out-drawing Creamsicle bucs/Cards game (other than Dallas in Tempe) before the cards moved into the Glendale stadium because of how bad (especially the Cardinals) those nfl teams were
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good post-draft analysis there, thanks Toad.

afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that we are post-draft, what I will say is, based on rumors I heard at the Arenabowl (so, we were already pretty deep in the draft), that there will be a few very early first round picks that should hit for 2018, plus possibly a later round pick by yours truly that will be the early "steal" of the draft hitting for 2018 or 2019.

stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the stats Toad, thanks!
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afdave wrote:
Now that we are post-draft, what I will say is, based on rumors I heard at the Arenabowl (so, we were already pretty deep in the draft), that there will be a few very early first round picks that should hit for 2018, plus possibly a later round pick by yours truly that will be the early "steal" of the draft hitting for 2018 or 2019.

I'll second this, there are some early round hits,... BUT, I wouldn't say "Later round pick" for the latter part of the statement, I would however say second day pick if it was the NFL Draft. 3rd of 8 picks is not later round pick. Just sayin'.
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stormjr wrote:
afdave wrote:

I'll second this, there are some early round hits,... BUT, I wouldn't say "Later round pick" for the latter part of the statement, I would however say second day pick if it was the NFL Draft. 3rd of 8 picks is not later round pick. Just sayin'.

That would be a mid-round pick, then... right?
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I suppose so!
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone is interested ... here were my rankings OR better yet, tiers. I don't usually rank but put things in tiers. let me know if you have questions

Teir 1
PPG Paints Arena
Prudential Center
Times Union Center

Teir2
Spectrum Center
Joe Louis Arena/LIttle Caesars Arena

Teir 3
Scottrade Center
Nassau Coliseum
AT&T Center
United Center
Talking Stick Resort Arena ****
Bridgestone Arena****

Teir 4
Oracle Arena/Chase Center
Bell Centre
Golden 1 Center
American Airlines Center
TD Garde

**** = wild cards but I liked what I heard enough to put them in a tier higher

I had more tiers but thought I'd start here.
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have moved those third-tier arenas up into the second tier; having been to Talking Stick Resort Arena, I can say that it has a better feel than, say, University of Phoenix Stadium when there's a football game going.
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Those" which of 'those' 3rd tier teams? & Why?

I did the tiers by what i was told and information that I gathered.

Love the possibility of 1st tier, really like the second tier. From all the info i was told and collected.

The third tier has a nice bit of optimism but some hurdles to finish, as told to me.

Third tier is mostly west, so would be third or fourth wave of expansion, if/when we get there. That said, i heard more info that would move --- Nassau --- up tiers.

---

If you mean Arizona coming back, yes, I'd agree, not sure how soon, but I agree with you, I like 'talking stick' as an option there. --- on this I have heard nothing, just my gut.

Concerning Nashville, it is a complicated situation, I am very familiar with the CEO there and he is a fan but also guarded about moving forward. Question there is ownership, who? They will want to see a certain amount and type of progress before moving forward, whereas, some of the other arenas/teams/potential owners on the other side of the spectrum. (Meaning on one end there is there is concrete information/facts/details/etc... on the other end hope/speculation/drive/etc...
AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant those arenas with asterisks by the names, sorry... yes, that would be Talking Stick Resort Arena and Bridgestone Arena... I think the AFL will likely expand to those arenas in 2020-2022.
stormjr
All Pro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I entirely concur Very Happy
afdave
ArenaFan Staff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to StormJr for hitting the first expansion arena. You'll get points when they officially start play in the spring!

AFLNerd36
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the AFL has more than 20 teams (say, in 2023, the AFL reaches 24 teams), then how would the playoffs look?

I'll take a guess:
Top-ranked team in each 12-team conference has #1 seed;
#2 and #3 seeds will be winners of each 4-team division, ranked below conference's #1 seed;
#4 seed will be non-division-winning team with the best record of the other 9 teams.

In this hypothetical, the Western Conference has the #1 seed as the Arizona Rattlers, the #2 seed is the returning Sacramento Attack, the #3 seed is the reborn San Antonio Talons, and the #4 seed is the Tucson Falcons.
The Eastern Conference features the #1 seed Baltimore Brigade, the #2 seed Philadelphia Soul, the #3 seed Tampa Bay Storm, and the #4 seed Orlando Predators. (The worst team in the AFL, in this hypothetical, is the Columbus Gladiators, who have just fired Dean Cokinos for ineffective clock management.)
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> AFL View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Jump to: