The Home of Arena Football Fans since 1998

ArenaFan.com :: View topic - AFL Wants To Expand To St. Louis
AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ    SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  
AFL Wants To Expand To St. Louis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcburnett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:04 am    Post subject: AFL Wants To Expand To St. Louis Reply with quote

This week, AFL Commissioner Scott Butera came to St. Louis to meet with prospective owners for an expansion team.

This KMOX NewsRadio 1120 article includes a recording of an interview he gave to the station on Monday (11/14):

Arena Football League Commissioner Calls St. Louis ‘Highest Priority’ in Expansion
KMOX NewsRadio 1120
http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2016/11/14/arena-football-league-commissioner-calls-st-louis-highest-priority-in-expansion/

Given the league's preference for NBA/NHL owners who own or control their arenas, my guess is that they would like to have St. Louis Blues owner Tom Stillman own an AFL franchise, and have the team play at Scottrade Center.
dcburnett

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:23 am    Post subject: Possible Rivalries Reply with quote

Scott Butera said that St. Louis is the westernmost expansion city they're considering right now, and that they're also looking to build team rivalries.

So it's possible that the AFL is also considering one or more of the following NBA/NHL cities - all of which are within driving distance of St. Louis - for expansion:

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Indianapolis
San Antonio
Chicago
Memphis
New Orleans
VooDooNut
Ironman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Possible Rivalries Reply with quote

dcburnett wrote:
Scott Butera said that St. Louis is the westernmost expansion city they're considering right now, and that they're also looking to build team rivalries.

So it's possible that the AFL is also considering one or more of the following NBA/NHL cities - all of which are within driving distance of St. Louis - for expansion:

Minneapolis/St. Paul
Indianapolis
San Antonio
Chicago
Memphis
New Orleans

Tom
Benson will never get back into the AFL

After he's gone though, who knows?
VnAFL
Starter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:24 am    Post subject: St. Louis Stampede Reply with quote

My first game ever was the St. Louis Stampede against the Milwaukee Mustangs. This was at a time when the AFL understood the need to capture the imagination of the fan. I have seen games at Family Arena. It is a nice venue, but I would rather they go downtown.
dcburnett

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just so happens that I was a Stampede season ticket holder for the two seasons they were in St. Louis (1995-1996). And I vote for Scottrade Center as the home for the new team. Smile
RockvilleRaven

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard a conversation from Ted Leonsis that the next expansion city might be Newark (New Jersey) at the Prudential Center. I'd like to see them make a go in the New York Metropolitan area, although they should try Brooklyn at the Barclays Center, athough the sightlines at one end aren't so good for hockey. They should kick off with 6 teams in 2017.
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the AFL is okay with people owning multiple teams, I say the Soul Ownership group should bring a team to St. Louis. The ownership group is really good at their job. They can easily expand and take advantage of getting a draw with Dick Vermiel. I mean, he did win a Super Bowl for the Rams.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fightclubhubbs wrote:
Since the AFL is okay with people owning multiple teams, I say the Soul Ownership group should bring a team to St. Louis. The ownership group is really good at their job. They can easily expand and take advantage of getting a draw with Dick Vermiel. I mean, he did win a Super Bowl for the Rams.

You might also be able to get a number of former Rams players to be part of that ownership group. That would also be a draw.
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Warner anybody?
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fightclubhubbs wrote:
Kurt Warner anybody?

Exactly who I was thinking. He would probably love to be a part of a St. Louis AFL team.
SteelCityVoice
Starter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fightclubhubbs wrote:

I think it would make more sense for the Soul to own another team within driving distance of Philly to double up ticket/sales staff. Something in New Jersey or New York.

Follow me on Twitter @SteelCityVoice
fightclubhubbs
Starter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't try that consider some counties west of philly already tried the indoor football thing in various forms. The only teams that has stuck around so far is the Lehigh valley steelhawks whose they've been in 4 leagues already. And the Erie Explosion.

Harrisburg, Reading, Johnstown.

Maybe get a team in jersey? The owner of the sixers owns the jersey devils. Maybe get him to buy in?

Last edited by fightclubhubbs on Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
billscarnage
MVP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiderfan_MJ wrote:
fightclubhubbs wrote:
Kurt Warner anybody?

Exactly who I was thinking. He would probably love to be a part of a St. Louis AFL team.

Not sure Warner has much feeling towards STL aside from sentimental. He's a coach at his sons high school team here in AZ where he lives.
spiderfan_MJ
All Pro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billscarnage wrote:
spiderfan_MJ wrote:
fightclubhubbs wrote:
Kurt Warner anybody?

Not sure Warner has much feeling towards STL aside from sentimental. He's a coach at his sons high school team here in AZ where he lives.

True. Speaking of sentimental even though I'm not a Rams fan when they left St. Louis, Warner's tweet made me smile:
https://twitter.com/kurt13warner/status/687100119158673408?lang=en
LJWeirich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Louis would be a good choice for an expansion team. I'd like to see the AFL in Kansas City as well. Just adding my two cents.
Post new topic Reply to topic    ArenaFan.com Forum Index -> Expansion View previous topic :: View next topic  

Jump to: