AFL Announces 2014 Schedule
Monday November 11, 2013
Rattlers, Soul set for ArenaBowl rematch on opening weekend
CHICAGO – The 2014 NET10 Wireless Arena Football League season will begin with an ArenaBowl rematch for the second consecutive year as the Arizona Rattlers will host the Philadelphia Soul, the League office announced today.
The AFL’s Board of Directors, under the advice and counsel of the League’s Strategic Planning Committee, elected to divide alignment into an eight-team American Conference and six-team National Conference for 2014 with each team playing 18 games and receiving two byes during the 20-week regular season.
All 14 AFL teams will be in action on opening weekend beginning with the Tampa Bay Storm hosting the New Orleans VooDoo on Friday, March 14. Tommy Grady and the new look Pittsburgh Power will host the Cleveland Gladiators on Saturday, March 15, while their newest East Division rival, the Iowa Barnstormers, will travel to Spokane for a meeting with the Shock. Colt Brennan and the LA KISS will make their AFL debuts in San Antonio as they face the Talons in a battle of West Division foes, while the Orlando Predators will host their in-state rival Jacksonville Sharks in a South Division showdown. Week 1 will conclude on Monday, March 17 with the San Jose Sabercats traveling to the Moda Center for their first ever meeting with Darron Thomas and Portland’s AFL franchise in the newly-branded Pacific Division.
Other games of note:
- The Arizona Rattlers and San Jose Sabercats will rekindle their storied rivalry three times in 2014, facing off in San Jose in Week 5, Arizona in Week 12 and again in San Jose in Week 16.
- The War on I-4 will see at least three more chapters written in 2014, as the Orlando Predators and Tampa Bay Storm will meet in Week 3 in Tampa, Week 6 in Orlando and Week 15 in Tampa.
- The LA KISS will host Portland in Week 4, marking both pro football’s return to Los Angeles and the first-ever meeting between the League’s two newest teams.
- The Philadelphia Soul’s first home game of the season will take place in Week 6 against the Jacksonville Sharks, whose season has been ended by the Soul in the American Conference championship game each of the last two years.
- Portland will close out the regular season at home against the Spokane Shock.
For the complete 2014 AFL regular season schedule, click here.
The full television broadcast schedule will be released at a later date.
About the AFL
Since its inception in 1987, the Arena Football League has showcased a fast-paced and exciting game to millions of fans in a myriad of markets across the country. CBS Sports Network will broadcast an AFL National Game of the Week on Saturday nights for the entire season. The AFL schedule then culminates with the ArenaBowl Championship game pitting the American Conference Champions versus the National Conference Champions for the James F. Foster Trophy.