ArenaFan Power Ranking: Week 10
Orlando moves up a spot after defeating Cleveland while the Gladiators fall to No. 5 after Week 10 Arena Football League action. San Jose, Philadelphia, and Arizona remain the top three teams after notching wins against lower ranked teams.
Week 10 Power Ranking
1. San Jose SaberCats (10-0) (LW: W @ PO 61-42) – San Jose is headed for a Week 19 showdown with Arizona at home that looks to be the only speed bump on the SaberCats path to a undefeated regular season mark. While San Jose will have to guard against a letdown that could lead to an upset loss, the SaberCats have a real shot at a perfect regular season record. San Jose will be home against Spokane on Friday.
2. Philadelphia Soul (9-1) (LW: W vs. LV 51-43) – Philadelphia continues to be the team to beat in the American Conference. The Soul have now won two straight after losing to Jacksonville and should make it three after hosting New Orleans in Saturday’s early game.
3. Arizona Rattlers (7-2) (LW: W @ SPO 59-47) – Arizona is on a collision course with San Jose not just in their Week 19 meeting mentioned previously, but also in the National Conference title game that is likely to match the Rattlers and SaberCats since they are the two best teams in the conference. Arizona will be home in Week 11 against Tampa Bay in Saturday’s late game.
4. Orlando Predators (6-4) (LW: W @ CLV 63-42) – Orlando moves to No.4 on the strength of their 21-point road victory over Cleveland last week. The win is the Predators third straight and keeps them on top in the South Division. Orlando will visit Jacksonville in a big Week 11 divisional game.
5. Cleveland Gladiators (5-5) (LW: L vs. ORL 63-42) – Cleveland has lost three of their last four games and were close to falling out of the Top 5 but didn’t because Jacksonville beat Los Angeles by just six points. Both Orlando and Jacksonville have played better than the Gladiators over the last month and Cleveland still has not beat a higher-ranked team this season (0-3). The Gladiators also have a loss to Jacksonville. Cleveland has a road game this week against a Las Vegas team that is capable of upsetting them-they need to play better than they have the last month to avoid an upset.
6. Jacksonville Sharks (5-5) (LW: W @ LA 41-35) – Jacksonville beat a winless Los Angeles team by just six points last week to remain No. 6 despite Cleveland’s three touchdown loss to Orlando. The Sharks have the second-longest active winning streak in the league (four games) and have won five of their last six going into this week’s showdown with division rival Orlando.
Have your own opinion about who should be ranked where in the power rankings? You can have your say, too! Vote in our ArenaFan.com Power Poll. Rerank the teams however you see fit every single week. Results will show up on the front page of ArenaFan.com!
7. Tampa Bay Storm (4-5) (LW: W vs. NO 35-34) – Tampa Bay continues to struggle scoring points (45 PPG) and is losing ground to both Orlando and Jacksonville in the South and look to be playing for a wild card spot. The fact that the Storm only managed to beat New Orleans by a point at home in what was a must-win reflects that. Tampa Bay goes on the road to face Arizona in Week 11.
8. Las Vegas Outlaws (3-6) (LW: L vs. PHL 51-43) – Las Vegas continues to work toward a .500 season and a possible postseason appearance in their first season in the league. The Outlaws will be home against Cleveland in a game that has upset written all over it.
9. Portland Thunder (3-6) (LW: L vs. SJ 61-42) – Portland will be in the battle for the two conference wild card slots all season and needs to continue to get better week to week. While not likely to finish .500 for the regular season, the Thunder are in a three-team race for the WC slots. Portland will play Los Angeles on the road this week in a game they need to win to keep pace with Las Vegas and Spokane. While losses to higher-ranked teams will do little to impact the Thunder’s chances, losses to lower-ranked teams will.
10. Spokane Shock (3-6) (LW: L vs. AZ 59-47) – Spokane, like Portland and Las Vegas, will struggle to reach .500 for the season but are alive for a postseason appearance. The Shock play undefeated San Jose in Friday’s lone game.
11. New Orleans VooDoo (2-8) (LW: L @ TB 35-34) – New Orleans is a work in progress that is a couple of seasons away from competing in the East, but are playing harder than they have in the last couple of seasons and are moving in the right direction. The VooDoo will travel to Philadelphia to play the Soul this week in search of their first road win of the season.
12. Los Angeles KISS (0-9) (LW: L vs. JAX 41-35) – Los Angeles delivered a better effort last week but the result was the same as it has been in their previous eight games-a loss. The KISS will play host to Portland this week.
Week 11 Game of the Week: No.4 Orlando @ No. 6 Jacksonville
The team with the higher power ranking won five of six games in Week 10, 43 of 55 (78%) for the season.