Cleveland suffers first loss, falls to No.4 in Week 13 AFL Power Rankings
Arizona remained undefeated, but there was a shuffling of teams in the second to fifth spots after Week 12 action saw Cleveland fall to Pittsburgh.
Power Rankings: Week 13
1. Arizona Rattlers (11-0) (LW: W vs. SJ 51-42) – Arizona, after scoring 70 points in three of their last four games, was held to 51 points in the win over San Jose. After three straight one-sided victories (Portland by 29, Spokane by 32, and Los Angeles by 45) the Rattlers faced a determined SaberCats squad that presented more of a challenge than Arizona has seen in a month, but the result was the same-a victory for the Rattlers. Arizona looks to extend their undefeated run with a road win over Portland this week.
2. Pittsburgh Power (8-3) (LW: W vs. CLV 48-34) – After doing what they needed to do against Orlando in Week 11, which was win a road game, Pittsburgh stepped up to the challenge against Cleveland and handed the Gladiators their first loss of the season, 48-34. The win moved the Power from No. 4 to No. 2 in this week’s power rankings. Pitt will host New Orleans in Week 13, and should deliver a W to the home fans.
3. San Jose SaberCats (7-4) (LW: L @ AZ 51-42) – San Jose held the high-powered Arizona offense to 51 points, but only managed 42 of their own in losing to the No. 1 team in the AFL. The loss snaps a five-game winning streak, but does not result in the Cats sliding from their No. 3 Week 11 ranking thanks to the Cleveland loss. San Jose is home this week against Los Angeles.
4.Cleveland Gladiators (9-1) (LW: L @ PGH 48-34) – Cleveland continued their inconsistent play in Week 12, but this time it resulted in their first loss of the season as Pittsburgh won by two touchdowns. The Gladiators will be home this week against Iowa, a team that could hand them a second straight loss if Cleveland does not play at their best.
5. Philadelphia Soul (6-5) (LW: W vs. SA 76-40) – Philadelphia bounced back from a two-point loss to Cleveland in Week 11 to beat San Antonio by 36 in Week 12. The Soul are a solid team, but need to guard against a letdown against Tampa Bay on the road this week.
6. Iowa Barnstormers (6-5) (LW: W vs. ORL 58-48) – Iowa ended a two-game losing streak at home by defeating Orlando in Week 12 action. The win puts the Barnstormers above .500 for the season, as well as moving them from No.7 to No.6 in this week’s power rankings. Iowa will travel to Cleveland this week.
7. Orlando Predators (6-5) (LW: L @ IA 58-48) – After a 10-point loss to Iowa in Week 11, Orlando faces a must-win game in Week 12 as they travel to San Antonio. A loss, even a road one, to the 1-10 Talons would be disastrous.
8. Spokane Shock (6-5) (LW: W vs. PO 58-48) – Spokane ended a three-game losing streak at home by downing Portland last week. The Shock travel to Jacksonville in Week 12 and hope to take advantage of the Sharks inconsistency to pick up another win.
9. Tampa Bay Storm (5-6) (LW: W @ NO 62-48) – Tampa Bay beat a struggling New Orleans team and has now won two straight games after losing five in a row, but will need to deliver their best effort of the season if they hope to make it three straight when Philadelphia visits this week.
10. Portland Thunder (3-8) (LW: L @ SPO 58-48) – After a 0-5 start to the season, Portland continues to work week in and week out to improve. The Thunder fell 10 points short against Spokane, and face a daunting task this week as they host Arizona, the best team in the AFL.
11. Jacksonville Sharks (3-7) (LW: BYE) – Jacksonville is coming off a bye week, and needs a solid effort as they host Spokane this week. The Sharks have been disappointing this season, and need to show improvement to avoid a total collapse. Regardless of the outcome, the Sharks must play well to avoid a lost season.
12. New Orleans VooDoo (2-8) (LW: L vs. TB 62-48) – New Orleans fell to Tampa Bay by 14 at home, and have now lost four in front of the home fans this season. The VooDoo will travel to Pittsburgh this week, and will have to perform at a higher level than they have this season to avoid being blown out by a good Power club.
13. San Antonio Talons (1-10) (LW: L @ PHL 76-40) – San Antonio was dominated by Philadelphia and lost by 36, 76-40, in Week 11. The Talons will be home this week against Orlando.
14. Los Angeles KISS (2-8) (LW: BYE) – Los Angeles will travel to San Jose after a bye in Week 11, and hope to show improvement. It is not likely the KISS will pick up a W against the SaberCats, but they must show improvement in all aspects of the game-including heart.
The Power Rankings are determined by considering Total Wins, Division Wins, Road Wins, Home Losses, and results against common opponents. The higher-ranked teams are 49-17 since the first week the rankings were released (Week 3), 31-6 since Week 8.
Mike began his third season reporting on the Georgia Force in March, 2012. Coverage includes weekly game previews and recaps, exclusive interviews and AFL news. Mike has been a Gwinnett County resident (the home of the Force) for two decades and provides coverage of the counties other pro sports franchises, the Gwinnett Braves (Braves Triple-A affiliate) and the Gwinnett Gladiators (ECHL, player development deals with both the Phoenix Coyotes and Buffalo Sabres) as well.