Top five remains unchanged in Week 12 AFL Power Rankings
After Week 11 action saw the Nos. 1-4 teams win, and the No. 5 club lose a tight road game to a higher ranked team, the top five in the Week 12 Arena Football League Power Rankings remains unchanged from the previous week.
Power Rankings: Week 12
1. Arizona Rattlers (10-0) (LW: W @ LA 70-25) – Arizona, for the third consecutive week, dismantled their opponent. After beating Portland by 29 in Week 9 and Spokane by 32 last week, the Rattlers pounded Los Angeles by 45 in Week 11 play. The Rattlers have won their last three games by a combined 106 points and have now scored 70 points in three of their last four games. Arizona will play host to San Jose this week.
2. Cleveland Gladiators (9-0) (LW: W vs. PHL 54-52) – Cleveland outlasted Philadelphia to remain undefeated and keep the No.2 spot in this week’s rankings. The Gladiators have been inconsistent week to week, but are the only team to join Arizona in the ranks of the undefeated and are the surprise of the AFL. Cleveland faces another tough matchup this week as they travel to Pittsburgh.
3. San Jose SaberCats (7-3) (LW: W @ SPO 52-34) – San Jose beat Spokane on the road by 18 and have now won five straight games. That streak will be in jeopardy as the Cats travel to Arizona for a showdown with the No. 1 Rattlers. A winning streak will be ended in this one.
4. Pittsburgh Power (7-3) (LW: W @ ORL 62-61) – Pittsburgh did what they needed to do against Orlando in Week 10, which was win a road game. The Power will be home this week to take on Cleveland in what should be a heavyweight battle.
5. Philadelphia Soul (5-5) (LW: L @ CLV 54-52) – Philadelphia came within 2 points of Cleveland, but fell shy of upsetting the Glads on the road. The effort was strong enough that, despite the loss, the Soul retained the No. 5 ranking. Look for the Soul to get back in the win column as they welcome San Antonio to Philly.
6. Orlando Predators (6-4) (LW: L vs. PGH 62-61) – Orlando dropped a home game to the higher-ranked Power, but moved up a spot thanks to an 18 point home loss by Spokane. The Predators will be on the road this week to face the Barnstormers.
7. Iowa Barnstormers (5-5) (LW: W @ NO 51-41) – Iowa rebounded from back-to-back home losses to beat New Orleans on the road by 10 to improve to .500 on the season. The Barnstormers, like the Preds, benefitted from the Shock loss. Iowa is home against Orlando this week.
8. Spokane Shock (5-5) (LW: L vs. SJ 52-34) – Spokane followed up their 32 point loss to Arizona in Week 10 by losing by 18 to San Jose in Week 11. The loss was their third consecutive in front of the home fans.
9. Portland Thunder (3-7) (LW: W vs. SA 55-40) – Portland improved to 3-7 after a 0-5 start by beating San Antonio by 15. The Thunder will play the Shock in Spokane this week, and are a threat to push the Shock home losing streak to four.
10. Tampa Bay Storm (4-6) (LW: W vs. 56-35) – Tampa Bay snapped a five game losing streak by downing Jacksonville at home. The Storm have gone 2-6 since opening the season with two straight wins, and are in must win games every week. Tampa will battle New Orleans this week and need to pick up a road win against a VooDoo team that is 1-3 at home.
11. Jacksonville Sharks (3-7) (LW: L @ TB 56-35) – Jacksonville lost to Tampa Bay by three touchdowns and continues to struggle to find consistency. The Sharks are on a bye this week.
12. New Orleans VooDoo (2-7) (LW: L vs. IA 51-41) – New Orleans disappointing season continued in Week 10 as the VooDoo dropped their third home game this season, this one to Iowa by 10. New Orleans will be home again this week as Tampa Bay comes to town looking to hand the VooDoo another home defeat.
13. San Antonio Talons (1-9) (LW: L @ PO 55-40) – San Antonio struggled again, falling to Portland on the road by 15 points. The Talons travel to Philadelphia for a Week 11 contest with the Soul.
14. Los Angeles KISS (2-8) (LW: L vs. AZ 70-25) – Los Angeles squared off with Arizona in Week 10 and the result was what would be expected when you have the No.1 team and the No. 14 team play. The 45 point loss was the seventh straight, the longest in the league. The KISS are on a much needed bye week in Week 11.
The Power Rankings are determined by a formula that considers Total Wins, Division Wins, Road Wins, Home Losses, and results against common opponents. The higher-ranked teams are 45-15 for the season, 27-4 since Week 8.
Mike began his third season reporting on the Georgia Force in March, 2012. Coverage includes weekly game previews and recaps, exclusive interviews and AFL news. Mike has been a Gwinnett County resident (the home of the Force) for two decades and provides coverage of the counties other pro sports franchises, the Gwinnett Braves (Braves Triple-A affiliate) and the Gwinnett Gladiators (ECHL, player development deals with both the Phoenix Coyotes and Buffalo Sabres) as well.