Arizona improves to 7-0; retains top spot in Week 9 AFL Power Rankings
The team with the higher power ranking won in all six AFL games played in Week 8, which resulted in no movement among the top six teams in this week’s rankings. There are five games on the schedule for Week 9, including No. 5 Pittsburgh @ No. 3 Spokane and No. 9 Jacksonville @ No. 7 Iowa.
Power Rankings: Week 9
1. Arizona Rattlers (7-0) (LW: W @ JAX 70-61) – Arizona was impressive on their way to a 7-0 mark, hanging 70 points on Jacksonville on the road in the win. Look for the Rattlers to keep the winning streak intact when they travel to Portland to play a Thunder squad that has bounced back from a 0-5 start to win back-to-back games. Arizona needs to beware of overconfidence in this one. Portland has played well three weeks in a row, and will be in front of the home fans.
3. Spokane Shock (5-2) (LW: W @ LA 70-21) – Spokane hammered the KISS in winning their second straight road game. The Shock will be home in Week 9 against the Pittsburgh Power, a team that will present a solid challenge. Look for the Shock to come out on top in what promises to be a dogfight with the Power.
4. San Jose SaberCats (5-3) (LW: W vs. ORL 70-35) – San Jose beat Orlando convincingly, and have strung together three straight wins after dropping three. The SaberCats do not play this week.
5. Pittsburgh Power (4-3) (LW: W vs. PHILLY 65-57) – Pittsburgh bounced back from a 27 point loss to Cleveland in Week 7 to win a tough game with a surging Philly club in Week 8. It doesn’t get any easier for the Power this week as they head to Spokane to face the No. 3 Shock.
6. Philadelphia Soul (3-4) (LW: L @ PITT 65-57) – Philadelphia played well for the fourth straight week in the loss to Pittsburgh. The Soul should get back on the winning path this week as they host New Orleans.
7. Iowa Barnstormers (4-3) (LW: W @ SA 62-52) – Iowa delivered another solid road effort, and were rewarded with a win over San Antonio this time. The Barnstormers need a win over an inconsistent Jacksonville team in Week 9 to show they are a serious contender.
8. Orlando Predators (5-3) (LW: L @ SJ 70-35) – Orlando was doubled up by San Jose, and are now 1-2 on the road for the season. The Predators have a bye week.
9. Jacksonville Sharks (2-5) (LW: L vs. AZ 70-61) – Jacksonville played much better at home than they had the previous week, but the result was the same-a loss. After being Portland’s first victim of the season in Week 7, the Sharks fell to top ranked Arizona by nine last week. Jacksonville faces another tough opponent when they travel to Iowa this week. The Sharks are in a must-win situation if they hope to stay competitive for duration.
10. Portland Thunder (2-5) (LW: W @ TB 61-42) – After starting the season 0-5, Portland has played better every week and looks like they can compete week-in and week-out. The Thunder will have to deliver their best game of the season this week win they host Arizona. While a win is not likely, a strong effort that results in a close game will keep the Thunder on track.
11. Tampa Bay Storm (3-5) (LW: L vs. PO 61-42) – Tampa Bay lost by 19 to Portland at home for the fourth consecutive loss, fifth in six games, for the Storm. Tampa is on a much needed bye this week.
12. San Antonio Talons (1-7) (LW: L @ IA 62-52) – San Antonio, despite a 10 point loss to Iowa, continues to improve. The Talons are working to be competitive every week, and the effort is showing. San Antonio has a bye this week.
14. New Orleans VooDoo (1-5) (LW: BYE) – New Orleans is hoping to build off a 48 point performance in Week 7 when they travel to Philadelphia to face a Soul team that is going to be hungry to get back in the win column after a loss to Pitt.
The Power Rankings are determined by a formula that considers Total Wins, Division Wins, Road Wins, Home Losses, and results against common opponents. The rankings were first released after Week 2 action. Thus far, the higher-ranked teams in the rankings are 30-11 for the season.